Chapter 15: The Arrogant Maid

Lorna was a maid who had been working at the Arquix castle for a little over a year now. Before Tilda had arrived, Lorna was the most liked among her colleagues. But Tilda had a way of working hard and being 'humble' about it, as if hard work was normal and needed no complaint. Her general 'good attitude' had won over everyone else. Luckily, Lorna hadn't lost all her ranking as she still considered herself the most beautiful. It was no trivial matter that her beauty far out matched the other maids.

Lorna was pondering on her misfortunes when she passed by Delrik and Felux in the castle hall.

It had not been many days since Cosaria's shopping trip, and Delrik was going about his usual Dukely duties. As they walked, Delrik instructed Felux on his plans.

He said, "Have the knights collected at the east wing for a special training."

Delrik glanced at Lorna as he passed and noticed a sparkling necklace decorating her physique. It had a green emerald inlay with gold lining. He felt he had seen the parcel before...

Delrik stopped dead in his tracks.

"Where did you get that?" Delrik demanded.

Lorna stopped and flipped her hair as she touched her necklace. She said, "This? Oh. The Duchess's personal maid, Tilda, was her name? She gave it to me."

Delrik said, "You are aware that the necklace belongs to the Duchess, correct?"

Lorna gasped and bowed deeply. She said, "Forgive me! I had no idea."

Delrik narrowed his eyes in sharp scrutinization of the maid.

Is this maid an idiot? Delrik wondered, Where else would that commoner Tilda have gotten a pendant like that?

Lorna continued speaking, "Perhaps the Duchess gave it to Tilda. I'd hate to think..."

Lorna gasped.

"That she stole it!"

Delrik looked unimpressed. Somehow, he doubted this small person's words but if it were true, such would be a serious accusation. He turned to Felux and said, "Find out what's going on."

"Aye," Said Felux, who was as curious as Delrik was suspicious.

Delrik continued glaring at Lorna.

Lorna tried to look meek as she said, "What is it, my Lord?"

Delrik flared his cape and walked away saying, "Nothing."

She's still wearing the necklace, He thought, One would have thought they'd take it off after mentioning it was the Duchesses. This maid has too much arrogance to be a proper maid.

He didn't want to admit that it irked him to see Cosaria's jewelry on other women.

༻✧༺

Between the castle and the food pantry in the servant's wing, there was a small outdoor alcove, hidden mostly from the rest of the castle. It was a common spot for secret rendezvous between forbidden lovers. Loads of gossip had been started there.

Felux happened to catch Tilda at the spot just as she was carrying an empty basket soon to be filled with dirty laundry.

He asked her, "Have you given one of the Lady's necklaces to another maid?"

Tilda replied, "Not a chance. Why? Did something happen?"

"Aye, there's a maid claiming you did. I'm here verifying her story." Felux said.

Tilda was quick to catch on, she said, "Well that's highly suspicious."

"Aye," Felux said, "So either she's the one lyin, or it's you."