7

SURBHI RAGHUVANSHI 

NOVEMBER 2023

"NAHI MAA!  AAPNE MUJHSE BINA PUCHE SHAADI KE LIYE HAAN KEH DIYA!" ( NO MAA, YOU AGREED FOR THIS MARRIAGE WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME!) I was literally sounding crazy. I told her to look for guys, not literally agree to this. 

"Surbhi, they liked you. They wanted you to be their daughter- in- law and moreover Ranasa and Ranisa think that you are the best bride for their son. " Naa said and she gently placed her hand on my shoulder. 

"You can meet him if you want to, they won't object." Maa said and made me look at her. "Meine yeh sab tumhare acche ke liye kiya hai, ab naraz na hona bss." (I have done this all for your own good, now please don't be upset.) She said and I looked away. 

"You want me to say no?" Maa asked and I immediately looked at her. 

She is the woman who lived her life alone, without a husband. She knows me, she knows all the things I've gone through ever since I was a child. She knew very well that a man has destroyed her life but she still wanted to see me happy with someone. According to her, not all men are same but according to me all men are like Karthik Raghuwanshi. 

"Nhi Maa, I'd like to have a talk with him." (No Maa) I asked and she shook her head. "But Ranisa gave me her phone number, do you want-" I knew what she was going to say so I cut her off. "No Maa, I don't need his number." I said. 

"They're coming tomorrow." She said and I nodded. "I know Maa, I'll meet him tomorrow don't worry." I said and Maa smiled. "Should I take it as a yes?" She said and I shook my head. "No Maa, I'll first talk to him and observe him, only then can you take it as a yes or a no." I said and Maa nodded. She pecked my forehead. "Goodnight, meri gudiya." (Goodnight, my doll) Maa said with a smile and I replied with a goodnight. 

           ______________

It was 1:34 am and I still couldn't sleep. Flashbacks of how Karthik Raghuwanshi left us were coming in front of my eyes. Tears started flowing out from my eyes. I absolutely hate you Karthik Raghuwanshi. Children in school used to laugh at me because I'd bring Maa for all the parent teacher meetings, annual function, or any other celebration even for father's day. Parents day was the worst because I only had one parent and all the people laughed at me. 

Sometimes Maa could not attend the functions because she was a doctor and the children of my school got an opportunity to tease me but I made sure none of that happened with Arana.

I remember bunking my class for attending her annual day because Maa told her that she could not attend her annual day. I sat in the front row and recorded little Arana. I hated Karthik Raghuwanshi but Maa never let any bad feelings develop in Arana's heart. She always told her how he was good but over time Arana realised that Maa was just trying to create a good image of that man in her head. 

I heard a knock on my door and I got up. I opened the door and I saw Arana holding her pillow in her hand. "What is this all?" I asked while see was rubbing her eyes. "Can I sleep with you?" She said in her baby voice and I smiled. I hummed and she entered my room. 

"Mujhe kal jaldi uthna hai, jab uthaungi toh uth jaaiyo." (I have to get up early tomorrow. When I'll call you then you'll have to get up.) I said and she hummed. "Goodnight " I muttered and hugged her tightly. 

She has been my bestfriend. We fight but we sought it out too. We've shared all our secrets with each other. I remember how I told her about my highschool boyfriend when she was just 12. We had our first drink together and our experience was so bad that we decided to never drink again. We've sneaked out of our house multiple times without Maa knowing. I've known all her boyfriends and she would randomly bring them home and I had to help her hide them. I don't even know how she found Abhishek.