• Chapter Four •

In the ten years that soon followed, both Emerson and Skye had excelled in their Naval careers and it wasn't long before they, alongside Bradley, were given the opportunity to attend Top Gun, just as their parents had back in 1986.

By the end of their training program, the brunette and blonde had ended graduating at the top of their class, becoming one of the youngest pilots to have their names placed on the plaque while at the same time, resulting in the Kazansky name appearing on the trophy for a second time.

Tom couldn't have been more prouder of his girls as he watched them receive the plaque - both him and Kara had always thought of Emerson and treated her as another daughter of theirs.

From there, the girls had proceeded to join the "Fist of the Fleet" squadron and quickly climbed up the ranks to becoming Lieutenants.

Although during their excelling Naval careers, unfortunate news had hit the Kazansky family regarding the Admiral, who had been diagnosed with throat cancer.

Emerson worried over her best friend during those troubling months of them first finding out. Skye was her partner up in the air, her Wingman and Weapons Systems Officer.

She couldn't help but admire the blonde for keeping her head high during that time and always remembered the words that Uncle Tom would tell them.

"Fly ice cold, no mistakes."

And the girls lived by those words.

The two female aviators stood outside of their Admiral's office - the plaque on the door displaying his callsign of 'Cypher'

When a fellow member of their squadron had told them that the Admiral had wanted to see them, the girls' first initial thought was that they had done something out of regulation but could not seem to think of anything that they might have possibly done wrong.

They made no mistakes.

"Deathwing, Siren." The Admiral's voice echoed to them from the opposite end of the closed door. "Come in here."

Exchanging glances between each other, the girls had entered the office and stood at attention in front of their ranking officer's desk. "Sir." The greeted in unison.

"At ease, ladies." The Admiral stated and gestured towards the two chairs placed in front of him at his desk. "Please, have a seat."

Glancing at each other for a brief moment, the pilot and her WSO each took a seat in front of their ranking officer as he folded his hands in front of him on top of his desk.

"I have received orders for both of you from Admiral Kazansky." The Admiral announced.

The girls' brows furrowed at the mention of their father and Uncle. He was the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet and it seemed highly unlike him to pull both of them from their current station, which didn't seem to ease their nerves as they exchanged worried glances with each other.

"Did something happen?" Skye questioned, worry seeping into her tone in concern of her father's health.

"Nothing has happened." The Admiral replied, putting both of his aviators' minds at ease, knowing fully well what the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet had meant to them. "However, there is a mission, and by Admiral Kazansky's request, you both have been called back to Top Gun. You are to report in Miramar by Friday morning for your first debrief."

"Thank you, sir." The girls responded as they stood up with their ranking officer - their minds at ease that nothing was wrong with their father and Uncle.

"On the contrary, I should be thanking you both." The Admiral said. "You both have worked so hard since joining this squadron, and I know you'll make us proud."

With a smile, the best friends departed from the Admiral's office and made their way towards their barracks where they had begun packing for their journey home.

Questions raced through their minds, but one stood out the most.

Who else had been pulled out by Admiral Kazansky for this mission?