• Chapter Seventeen •

After the service, the trio approached Kara, TJ and Nicole.

"Oh, my baby." Kara said with tears in her hazel eyes as she saw her youngest daughter and pulled her into a tight, comforting embrace.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Skye asked with a sniffle. "Why keep this from us?"

"Your father knew that if we had told you, none of you would have continued this mission." The former pilot responded with a sad smile. "He was so proud of each of you, especially you, sweetheart." She said, wiping her daughter's tears.

"I'm so sorry, Aunt Kara." Emerson apologised, hugging the blonde woman. "I can't imagine what you must be going through. You and Uncle Ice showed me what true love looks like."

Kara smiled softly at her goddaughter with a teary gaze. "At least he's no longer in pain." She responded. "I can only bet you that he's up there flying with Nick."

Bradley smiled softly at the mention of his father and pulled his Aunt into a hug while the girls had moved over to hug TJ and Nicole.

After giving her condolences to her 'cousins', the brunette looked out and found her father standing alone by the tree - his shoulders slumped as if a heavy weight loomed over him, his head bowed.

She couldn't even begin to imagine how he must've felt having lost yet another best friend - especially one that had constantly bailed him out of trouble each and every time he had done something to piss off the Navy or an Admiral.

Of course, she still had some resentment towards him but at the same time, Emerson had wanted nothing more than to comfort her father.

Emerson had insisted that Skye stay with her family tonight to mourn with them - the blonde had tried to put up a fight but the brunette wouldn't have any of it

Emerson had insisted that Skye stay with her family tonight to mourn with them - the blonde had tried to put up a fight but the brunette wouldn't have any of it. She needed to be with her mother, brother and sister in their family home.

However, she had been pleasantly surprised when a knock sounded at their apartment door and she opened it only to find Jake Seresin standing on the opposite end; his green eyes holding nothing but concern for the fiery blonde.

She was shocked that the cocky pilot was even capable of showing another emotion apart from being a complete dick almost all the time.

She had almost scoffed at the idea when Skye hold told her that she had seen a completely different side of Jake all those years ago but now she could see what her best friend had meant - and she could see that he had clearly regretted what he had done to her but also.. Something more?

She reassured the cocky pilot that Skye was okay and was with her family for the night.

But that wouldn't be her only surprise that night.

About three hours later, another knock had sounded at her door. Walking over to open it, the brunette had found her father standing on her doorstep.

"Dad?" She quizzed.