• Chapter Twenty-Two •

The canopies were soon lowered and closed, and the four F-18s had gotten into position for launch.

Emerson closed her eyes and released a shaky breath, which was soon followed by the voice of her boyfriend filtering through her ears.

"Easy there, Em." Bradley cooed gently to calm her, knowing full well that she was nervous although she hid it well. "You've got this. Just try to stay calm."

"Easier said than done, you dork." She quipped teasingly with a soft giggle.

"Real mature, Em." He chuckled softly.

"Shut up." She muttered playfully.

"Well, since you asked so nicely." Bradley mumbled in amusement.

"You guys are so sickeningly sweet, it makes my teeth hurt." Skye commented with a fond smile and a playful roll of her eyes.

The brunette pilot giggled softly and inhaled deeply before slowly exhaling to calm her nerves as the words of Uncle Tom crossed her mind.

Fly ice-cold, no mistakes.

Clipping her mask into her helmet, Emerson stared ahead of her as the catapult was readied to launch the F-18s.

"Dagger One, up and ready on Catapult One." She announced.

"Dagger Spare, standing by." Jake's voice echoed in the cockpit.

"Dagger Four, up and ready." Rueben announced.

"Dagger Three, up and ready." Natasha replied soon after.

"Dagger Two, up and ready." Bradley stated.

"Support assets airborne, Strike package ready." A female Naval officer announced. "Standing-by for launch decision."

Pete, alongside Admiral Bates, shifted their gaze towards Admiral Simpson, who simply stared at the screen ahead.

"Send them." Admiral Simpson instructed.

The roar of the F-18s' engines came to life, and Emerson turned her attention to the launch crew and gave them her signal before she gripped hold of her instrument panel.

With not a second to waste, the dual-seater F-18 was launched off the carrier; Dagger One was now airborne.

"Here we go." The brunette mumbled.

" The brunette mumbled

"Dagger One away." The female officer announced as Pete shifted nervously in place as worry for his daughter, niece, and godson washed over him. "Dagger Two away."

All he could do was pray that Nick and Tom were with those kids, watching over them.

"Dagger Three away."

"Dagger Four away."