• Chapter Eight •

"Attention on deck!"

The pilots and WSOs all rose to their feet and stood at attention at the command as their ranking officers entered the hangar, the roaring sound of fighter jets flying by so intense but it wasn't anything that they weren't already used to.

One of the ranking officers stepped up to the podium in front of the hangar while the other remained on the side, watching the fourteen Top Gun graduates from the wing.

"Good morning. Take your seats." The ranking officer stated and waited until the aviators were all seated once again. "I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC Commander. Welcome to your special training detachment. You're all Top Gun graduates, the elite, the best of the best."

Emerson noticed a few grins and smirks around the pilots and WSOs with some even glancing towards her and Skye, having graduated at the top of their class.

"That was yesterday."

The grins and smirks had almost instantly faded at the Admiral's words.

"You've all spent your careers flying close air support for troops on the ground with little to no air-to-air threat." Admiral Bates continued as an image of a new enemy fighter was projected. "The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box."

At that, Jake had turned around to smirk at Skye, Emerson and Natasha as he chewed on a toothpick - giving the blonde WSO a wink to which she rolled her eyes and subtly flipped him off by leaning her head on her hand.

"Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named team leader. The other half will remain in reserve for any support role." The Admiral continued before his eyes shifted towards the back of the hangar. "Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master."

A few heads had turned as the sound of footsteps approaching echoed throughout the hangar over Admiral Bates' speech, Emerson's included only for her brown gaze to harden slightly at who the instructor was while Jake, Reuben and Javy seemed to have sunken slightly in their seats.

"His exploits are legendary and he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced." The brunette scoffed lightly to herself and exchanged a look with her best friend before she looked over at Bradley, who didn't appear too pleased at the familiar face either.

Bradley met her gaze and silently conversed with her, asking if she had possibly known who it could have been to which she had simply shook her head lightly while Skye glanced between her cousin and best friend worriedly.

"What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death." Admiral Bates stated. "I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Callsign: Maverick."

The famous Pete Mitchell had stepped up to the podium, taking over from Admiral Bates as he looked over the group of pilots and WSOs. "Good morning." He greeted with a smile, his eyes briefly glancing towards Emerson and Bradley before he raised up a handbook.

"The F/A 18 NATOPS." He said and patted the cover with the palm of his hand. "It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out."

"Damn right."

"Damn straight."

Pete smirked slightly at the confident answers of the graduates seated before him, a mischievous glimmer shining in his eyes before he glanced over at his two superior officers and threw the handbook into the trash-bin next to him.

This made a few of the pilots and WSOs shift nervously while the others appeared to be intrigued.

"So does your enemy." The Captain replied coolly as he placed his hands on the podium, staring out at the students before him. "But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them, test them and push beyond."

The young graduates appeared to have hung onto his every word; something that was a gift to Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell.

"Today we'll start with what you only think you know." Pete stated. "Show me what you're made of."

The group soon found themselves out on the tarmac, making their way towards their planes for their routine checks

"Did you know?" Bradley quizzed as he walked beside Emerson and Skye.

"Of course not. I'm not exactly thrilled that he's here too." Emerson responded with an irritated sigh. "Why wouldn't Uncle Tom mention this to us?"

Skye sighed softly with a shake of her head. "Your guess is as good as mine." She answered.

"Emerson, Bradley." Pete called out from behind the two pilots. "Deathwing.. Rooster."

The brunette rolled her eyes slightly and gripped her helmet tightly and continued to walk beside her best friends; Bradley clenching his jaw while his irritated brown eyes were hidden behind his aviators.

"Lieutenants Blackwood and Bradshaw!"

The two pilots came to an immediate halt, with Skye giving the pair a sympathetic smile.

"I'll meet you there." She whispered to her best friend and proceeded to continue making her way towards their F18 for inspection.

Slowly turning around, the pair were met with Pete approaching them slowly with his helmet in hand.

"Yes, sir?" Bradley questioned as Emerson pursed her lips slightly, holding herself back from rolling her eyes and snapping at the man in front of her.

"Let's not do it this way." Pete said simply, noticing the irritated expressions on the two Lieutenants' faces.

"You gonna wash me out?" The young man, that had resembled his best friend, quizzed with a bite to his tone.

The Captain sighed softly. "That'll be up to you." He answered.

"Am I dismissed?" Bradley asked.

Releasing another heavy sigh, Pete nodded his head at his godson, who had wasted no time in leaving the older pilot's presence and made his way to his jet.

Glancing after her best friend with concerned brown eyes, the brunette turned back towards the man in front of her - her gaze quickly hardening as she was met with his saddened brown eyes.

"Emerson--"

"Can we not?" She asked, immediately cutting her father off. "If that was all, sir, am I dismissed as well?"

Pete's heart broke as he stared at his daughter, her cold demeanour around him hurting him deeply although he couldn't exactly blame her. He wasn't exactly Father-Of-The-Year.

"Yeah.." He replied softly.

With that, Emerson had turned on her heel and walked over to her F18, meeting Bradley's concerned gaze from across the tarmac as he had removed his aviators.

She nodded at him, answering his silent question with a soft smile before she turned towards her best friend.

"We good to go?" She asked.

"All good." Skye responded and gave the brunette a knowing look. "You okay?"

"I will be." Emerson answered with a reassuring smile before a small smirk graced her lips. "You with me?"

"Until the end of the line." The blonde replied with a smirk of her own.