• Chapter Twelve •

"Bradley.."  Emerson whispered softly as sat down beside her best friend on the couch.

After everyone had been dismissed for the rest of the day, Emerson had opted on taking Bradley back to his apartment. He had been silent ever since the altercation and his expression had still remained the same, brows furrowed and his eyes narrowed while his fists were clenched, his knuckles turning white.

"Hey.." She said softly and gently took his hand into hers, where she had felt his grip loosen before he intertwined their fingers together without any hesitation. "Hey, listen to me.. Don't listen to a thing that comes out of Hangman's mouth. He's a complete dick, don't let him get into your head."

"Is what he said true?" Bradley asked, speaking up for the first time since the fight as he traced random patterns on the back of her hand with his thumb. "Do you also think that I'm not cut out for this mission."

"No." The brunette said with a soft shake of her head and squeezed his hand firmly but gently. "You are cut out for this mission. Why else would Uncle Tom request you to come back? But I do think that you aren't ready to take orders from my Dad.. You can be quite stubborn when you want to be." She added with a soft giggle.

Without a word, Bradley pulled her closer to him and wrapped his strong arms around her body while he buried his face into her neck.

Emerson was quite surprised at the act but almost immediately relaxed and wrapped her arms around him.

"What would I ever do without you, Em?" He whispered.

"Crash and burn." She answered with a light teasing tone as she ran her fingers through his hair before she cupped his face between her hands gently, forcing him to look at her. "And luckily for you, you'll never have to find out. You're stuck with me forever."

For the first time that day, a smile had broken out across Bradley's face - his brown eyes shining as he stared at the brunette in front of him. He brought his right up and lightly stroked her cheek which sent chills down Emerson's spine as her heart began to beat loudly.

With just the sweetest and simplest of gestures, she could melt under Bradley Bradshaw.

"So, did my cousin finally man up and make a move?" Skye questioned, urging her best friend to continue what had happened between her and Bradley

Emerson traced her fingers along the rim of her coffee cup. "Nope." She answered.

The blonde rolled her eyes as she took a sip of her coffee. "I always knew he was an idiot." He muttered.

The brunette bit back a laugh as she shook her head lightly. "It's not all his fault." She replied. "I was the one that backed off."

"What?" Skye quizzed with an arched brow. "Now, why the hell would you do that?"

Emerson chewed on her lip nervously and released a soft sigh. "I don't know.. I guess I was scared." She answered softly. "I am scared."

"Emerson 'Deathwing' Blackwood, scared?" The shorter of the two best friends repeated. "No. Emmy, what could you possibly be scared of?"

"Rejection." The taller of the two stated simply. "I wouldn't do anything that could possibly ruin our friendship."

Skye released a soft laugh. "Em, listen to me." She said and reached over, grabbing her best friend's hand. "I may think my cousin is an idiot but I know for a fact that he loves you. It's actually mind-blowing how oblivious you both are."

Emerson laughed breathily.

"And you love him." The blonde stated with a soft smile. "I say make a move because at this rate, that boy is taking too long."

The brunette rolled her eyes with a smile. "Thank you, Skye." She said appreciatively before their phones went off with an incoming text.

With furrowed brows, the girls unlocked their phones and read the text that they had just received.

'Class today is cancelled, we'll be meeting at the beach.'

After reading over the text, the girls met each other's gazes - their eyes mirroring the same emotion of confusion.

"That was oddly vague." Skye muttered.

"What else do you expect?" Emerson quizzed and placed her phone back on the counter. "Alright, let's finish up and get ready."

With a nod, both girls finished their morning cup of coffee before they parted ways into their bedroom to get ready for whatever it was that Pete Mitchell had planned for them.