• Chapter Twenty •

"Ready to fly, old man?" Emerson called out as she stepped onto the deck of the carrier, gaining the attention of her father, who had been staring out at the ocean.

Pete's attention had been drawn away from the horizon as he settled his gaze onto his only daughter, and chuckled softly. "I don't know who you're calling old because I've still got a whole lot of flight left in me" He responded teasingly.

"Don't we all know it." The brunette giggled softly as she walked up to the older pilot and stood beside him, her brown gaze shifting across the vast ocean. "Talking to Uncle Nick?"

The Captain smiled softly. "How'd you guess?" He asked, caught red-handed.

The female pilot shrugged lightly. "Call it intuition." She answered with a soft smile of her own.

Pete's smile broadened as he stared proudly at his daughter standing beside him, all before it slowly disappeared. "This mission, it's going to be extremely dangerous.." He started. "And I don't know if--"

"I know." Emerson whispered; she'd be lying through her teeth if she said that she wasn't scared or nervous about this mission. "But we had the best teacher who taught us all that we needed to know. Besides, you're Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell. You're indestructible."

Pete scoffed lightly. "I'm glad you think so." He teased before staring at his daughter. "I know I have missed the last eighteen years of your life.."

"Dad--"

"Let me finish, please." The Captain pleaded gently, earning a soft nod from his daughter. "I just wanted you to know that there was never a moment where I wasn't thinking about my little girl, flying right beside you through life and all the achievements that you have accomplished. You have exceeded and excelled through all expectations and I could not be more proud of you, Emerson 'Deathwing' Blackwood-Mitchell."

The daughter of the Captain smiled as she felt tears well up in her eyes but forced herself to hold them back. "Oh, shut up. You're going to make me cry." She teased with a roll of her eyes and pulled her father in for a hug.

Pete chuckled softly as he held his daughter in his arms and pressed a kiss to her head. "Although, my callsign is way better." He teased with a grin.

Emerson shoved the older man playfully with a mock gasp. "Is not!" She exclaimed and giggled.

"Captain Mitchell." A voice called out from behind the father-daughter duo which grabbed their attention, only to find Admiral Bates standing behind them with a ghost of a smile. "You are where you belong." 

Emerson smiled at the Admiral and looked at her father. "You ready, Cap?"

Pete nodded his head with a soft exhale. "As ready as I'll ever be."

"It's been an honour flying with you

"It's been an honour flying with you." Pete stated as he stared at the pilots and WSOs that stood before him. "Each of you represents the best of the best. This is a very special mission. My choices are only a reflection of that."

"Choose your Foxtrot teams." Admiral Simpson instructed, giving the go-ahead for the teams to be chosen.

"Payback and Fanboy." The Captain announced confidently as he settled his gaze on each of the pilot-WSO duos. "Phoenix and Bob."

"And your wingman."

The tension that hovered in the air was thick as the older pilot remained silent for a moment before settling his gaze onto the young man that had resembled his best friend so much, his godson. 

"Rooster." He announced finally, causing the young man to look up at his Captain with furrowed brows, his brown gaze surprised.

"Although, he will not be my wingman." Pete continued, which earned him a questioning look from Admiral Simpson. "I hereby hand over my position as team leader to Deathwing."

Emerson stared at her father with shock before she exchanged a look with Skye.

"Captain, I have not appointed Deathwing--"

"Let me be clear and put it this way."  Pete interjected the Admiral. "Deathwing will fly this mission as team leader. This team, and myself included, have full faith in her capabilities."

Admiral Simpson clenched his jaw with slight irritation for the Captain present in his gaze before he faced the graduates. "Very well, Deathwing is your team leader with Siren at her side." He stated.

The pilots and WSOs smiled at the two best friends, all while Pete stared at his daughter with pride.

Emerson and Skye glanced at each other before giving a firm nod to their superior officer.

"Yes, sir." They responded simultaneously.

"The rest of you will stand-by on the carrier for any reserve role that is required." Admiral Bates announced. "Dismissed."