• Chapter Nineteen •

After an eventful day on base, to say the least, Emerson had soon found herself walking along the beach with Bradley beside her.

"I'm surprised that you weren't reprimanded for speaking to Cyclone the way you did." Bradley said, glancing down at her as he tried to fight back a smile. "No matter how insanely attractive I had found it."

Emerson smirked and gave a light shrug of her shoulders. "I aim to please." She replied. "Besides, was I wrong? No one stopped me, not even Warlock."

No," The tall pilot responded as he took her hand gently into his and laced their fingers together as they walked. "You just said what we were all thinking."

The brunette smiled at him softly as a comfortable silence fell over them, with nothing but the sounds of the waves crashing onto the shore bringing a sense of calmness over them.

"You knew didn't you?" Bradley stated, breaking the comfortable silence - his tone neutral. "You knew what he was going to do."

Emerson nodded her head softly. "I didn't know what exactly his plan was but.. I knew he would do something crazy. What else do you expect from Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell?" She replied. "He came over last night after the funeral and we spoke.."

The man beside her remained silent as he allowed her to speak. He knew how much his godfather leaving her had hurt which had just added to his anger towards him.

"He regrets  ever leaving and wants to be in my life, and to be honest, a small part of me didn't want to trust him and allow him back in but.. I've already missed out on eighteen years with him. I've lost my Mom, and now Uncle Tom.. I don't want to lose my Dad too." She continued. "I know that you're pissed at him for the stunt he pulled with your papers but I don't want you to hate me for forgiving him and allowing him back into my life--"

"Hey, do you truly think that little of me that I could ever hate you?" He asked, cutting her off in mid-sentence as he pulled them to a stop. "I don't think I am physically or emotionally capable of hating you, Em. Yeah, its was a dick move that he pulled with my papers and I'm mad at him - especially for hurting you - but I could never hate you for wanting a relationship with him. I know more than anyone what its like going through life without your dad in it."

Emerson peered up at him with a small smile. "You don't hate me? You're not even mad?" She quizzed softly.

"Not in the slightest." Bradley replied with a soft smile before he cupped her face gently between his hands. "I love you, Emerson Blackwood-Mitchell."

The brunette's breath hitched at those three simple words as butterflies erupted within her stomach as they fluttered about, her heart racing.

"What?" She breathed.

"I love you." The tall pilot repeated. "I've been in love with you since high school but I never said anything because I was too afraid to ruin our friendship. I would rather have you as my best friend than not in my life at all."

She giggled softly. "You are such a dork." She said. "Though I can't say that I blame you. I fell for you in high school and I was also afraid of ruining what we have.."

"Who's the dork now?" He teased lightly with a chuckle, eliciting a giggle from the brunette staring up at him. "The badass Emerson 'Deathwing' Blackwood-Mitchell scared? I never thought I'd see the day."

"Just shut up and kiss me, Bradshaw." Emerson responded with grin and playful roll of her eyes as she grabbed a hold of his collar and brought his lips down to hers in a sweet but passionate kiss.

Sure, they had shared a kiss before on the day of their team-building but this one.. This one had felt much more special now that they had revealed their feelings for one another.

If sparks had ignited during their first kiss, then Emerson had sure felt fireworks exploding this time around. His scent enveloped her senses and she had felt almost dizzy in a sense, as he drew her body closer to his, snaking his arms around her waist.

They pulled apart slightly, with Bradley resting his forehead gently against Emerson's as her eyes fluttered open softly; their breathing heavy but could not compare to the smiles that adorned their faces. 

"Be mine, Em?.." Bradley whispered as he brought a hand up and gently caressed her cheek, admiring her as she leaned into her touch.

"Yes."