• Chapter Twenty-Four •

Stirring awake, Emerson's brown eyes slowly fluttered open where she was met with white powdered snow. With a soft groan, she blinked a few times to clear her blurred vision before she slowly pushed herself up and unclipped her mask.

With her vision cleared, she quickly took in her surroundings where she soon found her best friend lying a few feet away from her, unmoving.

"Oh, God.." She whispered and pushed herself onto her feet and ran over to the blonde, where she dropped to her knees beside her. "Skye? Skye, come on.. Wake up.." She said, gently tapping her face.

The WSO remained still, making the pilot fear for the worst but soon her green eyes slowly fluttered open as she released a soft groan.

"Oh, thank God." The brunette said with a sigh of relief. "Skye.."

"Hmm.." The blonde hummed as her blurred vision slowly began to clear. "Ow.. Crash landing sucks."

Emerson released a soft giggle at her best friend's words. "No kidding." She replied and helped her best friend sit up. "Come on, let get you up.."

As the female pilot helped her best friend to sit up, her brown gaze fell onto a deep red gash that decorated her WSO's left arm through a hole in her flight suit. "Shit, Skye, your arm.."

"What?" The blonde quizzed and looked down at her arm where she was met with the nasty gash. "Oh, well that's fantastic."

It was then that both girls noticed the red stained snow from where Skye had laid.

But before anything else could be said, their ears picked up on the sound of helicopter rotors in the distance.

Shifting their gaze towards the treeline, the girls narrowed their eyes as they saw the silhouette of a helicopter flying at a low altitude.

"Time to go." Emerson said.

"Yeah." Skye agreed.

The girls quickly got to their feet but nearly tripped due to their parachutes still being hooked to them.

Quickly unhooking the packs from their flight suits, they glanced up to see the helicopter turning around to face them head-on.

"Oh.." Emerson began slowly.

"Shit.." Skye finished before quickly running alongside her best friend as the helicopter flew towards them and opened fire.

The pilot and WSO quickly jumped behind a fallen tree trunk that had managed to shield them both from the assault, but the helicopter had flown around to the side and locked target on the girls, who tried to clear their vision from the powdered snow.

But as the enemy aircraft was about to open fire, it had suddenly erupted into flames with a loud boom from a missile's impact.

The brunette and blonde watched as the flaming helicopter fell to the ground before their gaze drifted towards the sky as an F-18 flew through the black smoke.

Emerson's eyes were trained on the jet. "No, no.." She whispered fearfully, knowing just who the pilot possibly could be.

Her eyes widened as a SAM headed straight towards the F-18 and a loud crash fell over the clearing, the sound almost deafening which had made her flinch as smoke and burning debris filled the air.

"Em, come on.." Skye tugged on her best friend's arm gently, her green gaze focused on the figure that had ejected their parachute as the burning aircraft had crashed.

Together, the duo took off in a sprint through the trees towards the crash sight where they knew the pilot would have landed near.

Upon nearing the pilot, they where met with the familiar red, black and gold helmet of none other than Bradley Bradshaw, who had been folding up his parachute.