• Chapter Sixteen •

The pilots and the WSOs stood together in their service dress blues as they stared ahead; a photograph of Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky situated up front, behind the coffin.

Skye, Emerson, and Bradley had wanted nothing more than to stand beside Kara, TJ, and Nicole as the eulogy was given.

Hot tears slid down Skye's cheek as she stared at the casket that held her father's body. She would never hear his voice again or feel his arms wrap around her in an embrace when she went to him for comfort.

Jake, who had stood beside the blonde, glanced at her with saddened green eyes before he gently took hold of her white glove-covered hand in his, giving her hand a soft, gentle squeeze.

The blonde appreciated the gesture as she continued to stare at the casket as the bugles played 'Taps'.

Her tears had continued to spill over as the flag that they had placed over the casket had been folded up neatly before Admiral Simpson had presented it to her mother with him saluting her.

Gunshots soon went off, which made Skye flinch slightly as chills ran down her spine; Emerson, who stood on the blonde's left, gently took hold of her free hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Pete had stepped up to the casket, and Emerson watched her father with concerned brown eyes - this was his second best friend that he was burying.

She watched as he removed his wings that were pinned to his blazer and hammered it down to the top of the casket with his fist before he raised his hand in a salute.

The rest of the officers present had followed suit, raising their hands to salute the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet.

But to Kara, Skye, Emerson, Bradley, Pete, TJ, and Nicole? They weren't just saying goodbye to the Admiral..

Pete was saying goodbye to his best friend.

Kara was saying goodbye to her husband.

Bradley was saying goodbye to his uncle.

Emerson was saying goodbye to her godfather and the man she viewed as a second father.

While TJ, Nicole, and Skye were saying goodbye to their father.

Four F18s flew overhead in the Missing Man formation - with the second element leader breaking formation by abruptly pulling up while the flight leader, lead's wingman and the second element lead's wingman continued the formation in level flight.

This was when they had slowly lowered their hands, officially bidding farewell to Admiral Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky.