• Chapter Twenty-One •

"Your target is a clear and present threat. It's an underground bunker that's tucked between these two mountains. Your route of interest is heavily defended by surface-to-air-missiles and backed up by fifth generation fighters." Admiral Bates briefed as he pointed at the screen at the very front of the briefing room. "Once the Strike Team crosses the border, tomahawk missiles from the USS Ladygulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here.:" 

"This will knock out their runway but you will have to contend with any planes already in the air. The moment those tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming." Pete continued, looking over the chosen team, his eyes lingering on his daughter, godson and 'niece'. "Your time to target will be two minutes and thirty seconds. Any longer than that, and you will be exposed to any aircraft that the tomahawks may have missed."

"This is all you've been training for." Admiral Simpson announced. "Come home safely."

Stepping out onto the deck and making their way towards their jets, Emerson gently squeezed Bradley's hand and came to a stop, which had grabbed his attention

She grabbed hold of his flight gear tightly and released a shaky breath. "You better be safe up there, Bradshaw." She whispered and peered up at him through her dark lashes.

Bradley, although highly anxious, smiled softly at the brunette in front of him that was gripping onto his flight suit ever-so-tightly. "Ditto, Blackwood." He responded and cupped her chin lightly between his thumb and forefinger, tilting her head up slightly as he dipped down to press a sweet, loving kiss against her lips.

"I swear to God, Bradley, if that is meant to be a goodbye kiss, I'll--"

The female pilot was quickly silenced with another kiss as she felt a soft rumble from her boyfriend's chest as he chuckled softly.

"'Bring me back, and kill me yourself', I know.." He said with a soft, amused smile. "We'll all come home safely." He said, reassuring her.

With a soft sigh, Emerson nodded her head with a smile of her own but as the couple had turned to proceed on their way to their respective jets, they were met by none other than Jake Seresin  coming to a stop in front of them.

The blonde, cocky pilot stared at the couple in silence, his gaze shifting between Emerson and Bradley.

"You give 'em hell!" He said, his voice raised over the various sounds of jet engines roaring to life alongside the rotors of helicopters and the bustle of the carrier's crew team.

The couple stared at the pilot silently; Bradley with slight shock that Hangman had said something nice while Emerson gave him a small smile of appreciation.

"You better believe we will." She replied. "Thank you, Hangman."

Jake gave a short nod at the couple before his green gaze fell onto a certain blonde pilot/WSO. Giving the two pilots one last glance, he proceeded to walk past them and made his way over to the blonde, who had just concluded her inspection.

"Skye.." He called to her softly as he approached her.

Skye shifted her gaze and stared up at the blonde pilot in front of her. "Hey.." She said, noticing a sense of conflict taking place in those green eyes of his.

The cocky pilot opened his mouth as if to say something that he had wanted to get off of his chest but nervously decided against it and ran a frustrated hand through his hair.

"Jake, what is it?" The daughter of the former ice-cold pilot questioned with a soft frown as she watched the man in front of her have an internal fight with himself.

Without a word, Jake had reached out and grabbed hold of Skye's hands, gently holding them in his larger ones.

"Jake--"

"Just come back safely." He said breathlessly, pleading with her as he stared into her green eyes. "Okay?.."

Skye stared up at him and nodded her head softly. "Copy that." She replied.

With a gentle squeeze to her hands and seemingly having wanted to say more, Jake gave her a soft smile and left without another word - leaving Skye to watch after his retreating figure.

"You good?" Emerson quizzed as she approached her best friend and shifted her gaze towards the cocky pilot, having noticed their moment together.

"Mmhmm." Skye hummed and tore her gaze away from Jake and towards her pilot. "You ready?"

"Not really, but let's do this." The brunette responded with a smile. "You with me?"

"Until the end of the line." The blonde responded with a smile of her own before they climbed into their jet.