𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

𝓘𝓼𝓪𝓫𝓮𝓵

    Dsᴘɪᴛᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏɴsᴛᴀɴᴛ ғɪɢʜᴛs ᴀᴛ ʜᴏᴍᴇ, I ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴏ ᴡᴇʟʟ ɪɴ sᴄʜᴏᴏʟ. Maria made some friends at her school, she said they were nice. I made friends at Sherman Oaks High, too. Some of the girls there asked for my skincare routine and my hair routine but I just use what comes in handy for my hair. As for my skin, water and just a drugstore cleanser keeps it alive. Not clear, but smooth enough for my makeup to look flawless. Also, it depends on what you eat.
     If you don't have a balanced diet, you can say goodbye to good skin and hello to pimples and blackheads. Mostly acne. I'm saying that from experience.
     Enough talking about skin. I made friends, that are really sweet and even if I only know them for a week, they make me want to not kill myself when I'm with them and not at the house.
     I'm friends with this Indian girl, that happens to be named Devi Vishwakumar, a Chinese one whose name is Eleanor Wong and the last one that is Fabiola Torres. Eleanor has a crush with the guy from the party two weeks ago, his name being Ethan Morales. Apparently everyone was shocked because he changed his appearance in only two months. Devi said he had grown two feet taller, but that would be a bit impossible to grow so much in such a short timeline. He grew at least a good twenty inches and that's it.
     His choice of clothing changed, his attitude changed, his hair changed, his body changed. From what the girls told  from their perspective. A lot of girls started giving him attention and apparently he got greedy. He wanted more and more, so now he has all the girls in the school at his feat but sometimes he doesn't take them and just walks away.
     Devi didn't take the bullshit though. She already has drama with Ben Gross. He took her virginity, didn't talk to her after, now he's dating this girl named Margot. Everyone goes through that at least once in their life. Either you're a virgin or not. I lived it, and it was harsh. So I understand what she's on and on about.
     Me and Devi lived in the same neighbourhood, just a few houses away from each other, and she said I could knock at her door whenever I felt like it.
     Right now we were sitting at the lunch table and basically just eating lunch. Like normal people would.
     "My mom is really annoying sometimes, but I love her. She even gave me her old Subaru so I could drive to school every day on my own!" Devi said, her mouth full of chips she bought from the vending machine right next to us.
     "You have told us about the Subaru at least fifty times, Devi." Eleanor chuckled, almost choking on her coke. Again.
     "She's right." Fabiola said, looking into her bag of Doritos instead of looking at anyone else. She did say not long ago that if someone gave her a bag of Doritos, she would swallow all the contents it in in a matter of seconds. I could see that now.
     "What about your mom, or dad, Isabel? You seem so silent about it." Eleanor asked. I blinked twice, trying to think about what I should say.
     They're two, mentally abusive assholes.
     But no, I couldn't say that. So I just said what came in mind.
     "They're great." I lied, believing in my own lie so it wouldn't be so obvious I was actually lying straight in their face.
     I wished I could say that to them with a smile and certainty in myself. That I could say it and it actually being true. Still, the girls all looked at each other then back at me, and I don't think they were too convinced either.
     "I have this thing I have to do. I'll see you guys soon." Fabiola said, scrunching the empty Doritos bag and throwing it in the trash as she got up, leaving me, Devi and Eleanor on our own.
     Eleanor was head over heels for Ethan, but Devi hated him because he defaced her whip and never actually said sorry. I mean, I get her. I would raging right now if someone spray-painted "stupid bitch"on my car. But Eleanor unfortunately thought that was her type of man so she was going to chase him until he wanted her back and they would date. She had already planned that they would have three children, a huge mansion and two cats. I wouldn't see a guy like Ethan being the father of two kids. Or being a father in the first place is a bit weird.
     "Ugh, the things I would do for him. And to him." Eleanor sighed, placing her elbow on the table and resting her chin in her hand, drooling over the image right in front of her, which was just Ethan sitting on the armrest of one of the benches and talking to his friends.
     She wasn't the only one ogling, there were a lot more other girls doing the exact same thing. He was basically the center of attention and I'm pretty sure he knows that. Because who looks into the air while talking to their friends? Definitely not me and it will never be me. I'd rather much look at people while I look at them out of respect.
    Also, what the fuck does he do on his porch after school? Every time I drive home with Maria after I got her from school I always see the guy smoking a big ass cigar with his friends and taking some pills and drinking alcohol while loud music would play in the background. Doesn't he have homework to do or something? Is his mom okay with that shit?
     "I don't really care, Eleanor. Me and that asshole didn't start on the right foot and I intend to keeping it that way. Boys are too complicated. Especially now that I'm in a rollercoaster with Ben. I seriously still don't understand what he sees in Margot." Devi groaned, slumping back on her chair. Eleanor stopped ogling at her new obsession and focused on Devi's concern.
     "Maybe he likes girls who wear oddly long skirts and blue eyeshadow." I said, leaning back against my chair and crossing my arms over my chest.
     "Yeah, she's right. Don't blame someone's tastes." Eleanor snickered, basically mocking her.
     "I got that. But if he liked girls with oddly long skirts and blue eyeshadow, why would he have sex with me then get with her? It basically makes no sense to me." Devi sighed.
     "Honey, it happens to most of the people in this world, sadly." I replied, letting out a sigh myself. I had gone through it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
     "You had sex with a guy then he dumped you for an artsy girl?" Devi asked with a raised eyebrow and a grin on her lips, maybe attempting to make a joke.
     "No. He left me for one of the cool girls." I smiled, and both of them gasped.
     "You're telling me you weren't one of the cool girls?!" They both said in unison. I chuckled in return and nodded.
     "I wasn't one of the cool girls. In Vegas, cool girls are girls that are way prettier than I could ever be.
     "One, if you say that there are girls who are way prettier than you I will cover your mouth with tape for you to not say anything like that, ever again," Devi started, and I couldn't help but chuckle at her threat, "Two, that guy was a jerk for leaving a girl like you on her own. And final, you are the prettiest girl that I have ever seen in this school." She finished off, before another girl joined our table. Seeing me confused, she chuckled and smiled at me.
     "Sorry, I'm Aneesa. We didn't meet yesterday because I was busy with some bullshit the soccer team caused right on the first day of senior year. Exciting." The sweet girl said with a smile on her face, probably directing it to me.
     "I'm Isabel. It's nice to meet you." I said, returning the smile. I assumed she was Indian, too. Dark hair, warm skin tone, big and brown doe eyes, full lips and a body that I would say was an athlete's. I mean, if she played soccer her body type would be pretty explainable.
     "Nice to meet you too," Aneesa sighed before looking at Devi and Eleanor, "Have you guys seen Fabiola?" She asked.
     "Nah, she said she had to go do this thing. She didn't give details about it, though." Devi replied, looking back at Aneesa, Eleanor replicating her moves.
     Devi told me during junior year that shit went down with Aneesa. That she got so jealous that there was another cooler, Indian girl that she basically—but accidentally— started a rumor that Aneesa was anorexic, it turned out to be true. She got suspended for a week, apologized once but didn't go too well, apologized a second time and then proceeded to make her mom beg Aneesa's mom to let her stay at Sherman Oaks. It worked and now their group is still alive and breathing. Before me, it was only Devi, Fabiola, Eleanor and Aneesa. But now that I'm here I feel like a burden. I have felt like one my whole life. I've even been thinking lately, what if I'm the reason to why my parents fight all the time?
     Abuela told me that before they ever had kids, that they were great to each other. They had their own share of problems but didn't yell and argue all the time. After they had me, they yelled at each other all the time, even at abuela's house. She said that she once had to take me out of the house because they kept breaking things at each other's faces. Abuela lost a lot of her family heirloom when they had that fight. Heirloom she wanted to give me before she died.
     But now she's six feet underground and I have no choice other than about her at night before I go to sleep.
     Maria unfortunately never met her, she was four when abuela died and mom an dad had kept her at a distance since Maria was born, because they had been threatened that if they didn't take good care of me she would call child's service on them. She should have, my life and Maria's is hell.
     I don't have a single memory of going out with my parents. Either my mom or my dad. Ever since I was a pre-teen or younger. I've been on walks with my sister, and I've went out with her on my own. But I never bonded with my parents. And I don't think I ever will.

     After lunch, I was taking some stuff from my locker. Devi and the girls had some stuff right now so I was on my own when a familiar face startled me once I closed the door of my locker.
     "We didn't meet properly. I'm sure you've heard about me, though." He said, a mischievous grin on his lips. His shoulder rested against the next locker door, his arms crossed over his chest and sleeves rolled up.
     "Ethan Morales. I did hear about you." I said in return, locking the padlock of my locker and finally looking at him.
     Big brown eyes indeed. A scar on his upper lip, no beard. Defined jawline and better eyebrows than I could ever have. High cheekbones, not big lips but full enough for his face harmony. Better skin than mine, and he probably only uses water as his daily skincare. Day and night. Small nose, I would say. But bigger than mine. Earrings, two chains around his neck and a really pointy Adam's apple, the best type if you ask me.
     "Isabel Belmonte. Only actually met a few seconds ago and you're already checking me out." He said, his grin quickly turning into a smirk as all the blood from my body rushed to my face. I'm pretty sure I feel my nose turning pink. Without the blush I put on my face this morning.
     "I am not checking you out. I'm just making simple observations like any other person would. If I was checking you out I wouldn't only be looking at your face." I replied, crossing my arms over my chest and looking back directly into his eyes. I wasn't an eye-contact girl but right now I had to unless I wanted him to think he was making me nervous. Which, he clearly isn't.
     "You did look at my neck, though. So you were checking me out."
     "Sure, if you say so," I sighed, unfolding my arms, placing a hand on my hip and running a hand through my hair. Bad habit, that's why my hair gets greasy really fast, "Look, I have to go to class. I'm pretty sure you like to skip it, but I don't. So, bye, Morales." I added, turning around and not giving him a chance to even respond.
     I heard him let out a chuckle in the distance, and I still felt his eyes on me no matter how far I walked. He wanted to make me nervous? He succeeded. But I wasn't letting him get an ego boost that easily.