𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓

𝓘𝓼𝓪𝓫𝓮𝓵

I ᴡᴀs sᴀᴛ ɪɴ ғʀᴏɴᴛ ғ ᴍʏ ᴡɪɴᴅᴏᴡ, ᴛʜᴇ sᴍᴀʟʟ ʟɪɢʜᴛ ʀᴀᴅɪᴀᴛɪɴɢ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀɴᴅʟᴇ ʙᴇsɪᴅᴇ ᴍᴇ lighting up the whole room as I repeated the Lord's prayer, hands joined in front of my face, holding the golden cross on my neck between the two palms.
Maria was staying at Devi's house until I decided what I'd do. Plus, Devi's mom brought my little sister to her therapist whenever she had an appointment, and all the times I tried to pay her for her extra expenses because of my sister, she wouldn't take the money, and she let me take it instead.
Recently, I had told Fabiola and Eleanor and Aneesa the whole story, because they all also deserved to know. Not only Devi could know when I was now in a good friend group.
After I finished my prayer, I gestured the cross sign across my upper body, and released the chain that was between my hands and got up from the ground, taking the candle from the floor and lighting it out.
I was ready to go to bed now. I was in my loose thin strapped shirt and my small shorts, that clung to my skin like a second skin. I had showered. I had brushed my teeth. And I just finished praying. So I set the candle back down on my desk and got on top of my bed.
Mom and dad were out of the house for the night, both their separate ways to do God knows what with God knows who. So I was all alone at home. For once.
I got under the sheets of my bed, ready to lay down and peacefully close my eyes until I heard a knock on my door, making me jump up from the bed.
Fear filled every inch of my body, and the only reflex I had was take one of my pair of heels from under my bed and take one heel, hand on the shank, using the sharp heel as a weapon.
I climbed down the stairs as slowly as I could, before finally reaching my front door and twisting the key, unlocking and opening the door, the silhouette of a man in front of me. But as soon as he took off his hood, it was Ethan. Bruised.
"What the fuck happened?" I asked suddenly, letting the red heel fall to the floor as my hands grabbed the sides of his face, a groan escaping his mouth as I inspected every inch of his face.
A busted lip. A busted eyebrow. Bleeding nose. Start of a black eye. Why was he even here in the first place?
"It's a long story that I don't want to explain. Where are your parents?" He asked in return, his eyes fixed on mine as I kept inspecting, trying to see if he had anything broken.
His question finally went through my mind and I answered without taking my eyes off of his face.
"Date night out." I replied, before taking his hand and bringing him inside my house, reaching around him and kicking the door shut with the tip of my toes.
I grasped his hand again and walked him up the stairs with me until we both reached the bathroom, where I lit up the bulb and led him to the closed toilet seat and sat him down on top of it.
"Any soreness on any other part of your body?" I asked, just in case I needed to see him shirtless again. I had to prepare my neediness before that happened.
"No. But it might be better if I take my sweater off, you won't be able to reach me otherwise." He smirked, knowing exactly what he was doing.
"Do you have a T-shirt under?" I asked with a sigh, looking at him as I leaned against the counter of my sink.
"Why? You're scared of getting wet just because you're going to see my amazing abs?" He asked, his tone filled with cockiness, and I rolled my eyes in response, "Yes, I do have a shirt under." He finally said, taking off his sweater.
Oh, God.
Is it just me, or is this guy moving in slow-mo? The way his shirt clung to his thick sweater as he took it off made me straighten up and look at him, and I gulped the sudden lump in my throat when he finally finished and let it drop to the floor, looking back up at me.
I cleared my throat and turned to the counter of the sink, kneeling down in front of it and opening the cabinet, taking some cotton balls and disinfectant, plus some ointment for his eye, that was slowly turning black.
Closing the cabinet and getting back up, I walked back towards him, slowly getting at eye-level with him, even though we were still pretty much far away from each other.
I placed the products between his spread legs, which I wasn't at fault of, and took a small ball of cotton, wetting it with disinfectant, slowly bringing it up to his eyebrow and pressing against it, and he groaned. I knew it stung, but there was no other way of doing this.
I glided the wet cotton all over the bloody cut, until it was clean. Next went his swollen and busted lip. Then went his nose.
When I was all done, I took a bandage from the cabinet and stuck it to his brow, then took a few pumps of the ointment and rubbed the smooth cream under his eye, preventing it from getting really bruised. Which he couldn't. Not on my watch.
"Who did this to you?" I asked, finally breaking the silence as I put everything inside the cabinet and waited for him to answer.
"Some guys that work for the man that gives me the drugs that I want." Oh, true. I forgot he was a complete degenerate. Specially drugs. And alcohol. And whatever other substance he ingested.
"Let me guess, you didn't pay anything?" I asked, finally looking back at him after I finished putting everything back in its place.
He nodded and pursed his lips, putting his sweater back on and getting up from the toilet seat.
I nodded back and lead him down the stairs, and then to the front door, which I opened for him before he left, giving him a small smile and watching him start to walk away as I leaned against the door frame.
As he was halfway through the front yard of my house, he looked back at me.
"Good night, cariño." He said, a smirk on his lips.
I wanted to shout back at him and tell him to stop calling me that over and over, but my mind decided something else instead. Something else that I was at peace with.
"Good night, Morales." I answered from the distance, but I know he heard me from the way he chuckled. So he walked away. Further and further until I was left with myself and the rays of moonlight glancing back down at me.
I closed the door and went back upstairs to my room, finally getting into bed and getting the good night sleep I needed.
As scary as it sometimes was to be home alone despite how worse this household was with my parents here, it felt good.
It felt good to know that I was on my own without the fucking hell that my mom and dad cause whenever they're here.

Wʜɪʟᴇ I ᴡᴀs ᴅʀɪᴠɪɴɢ ʜᴏᴍᴇ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴍʏ ᴅᴀɪʟʏ ᴅᴏs ғ ʙᴏʀɪɴɢ ᴄʟᴀsss ᴀɴᴅ ʙʟᴀsᴛɪɴɢ Nɪᴄᴋʏ Jᴀᴍ's "Hasta el Amanecer" on full volume that I'm pretty sure that any person that walked by my car could hear it, my small moment of peace was quickly cut off by the sound of my phone—connected to the car—started ringing.
I quickly look at the radio and see Maria's therapist, Doctor Jamie Ryan, calling me. So i answered, but I'm pretty sure Maria doesn't have an appointment today.
"Hello?" I said out loud into the car, since I'm pretty sure the call was also connected to the car, so I continued driving home, now a bit slower.
"Hi, it's Isabel Belmonte, right?" The female voice asked.
"Yeah. I'm not sure Maria has an appointment today." I finally said, thinking she was going to ask me about that. While no.
"Oh, uh, no. Maria indeed doesn't have any appointments today but I hoped you could come to my office so we could talk for a bit." The doctor said on the other line.
"Of course, I'll be there in five." I answered, not even waiting for an answer as I hung up and took a sudden turn, some cars honking at me as I started driving in the direction of the therapist's office.
I finally got there and got past the receptionist, finally getting to the office and knocking before I came in, until I heard a "come in" from the doctor.
I walked inside her office and closed the door, looking at her before she looked back at me.
"Oh, you can sit down." She chuckled nervously, gesturing me the couch and I nodded, sitting down and facing her.
"You called me here for a reason. Drop the bomb." I said, breaking the slight silence that had started for a few seconds.
"It's about your sister, Isabel. She cuts." That's no new news. I already knew that.
"I already knew that."
"There are new cuts on her arm. I don't know what she glides against her skin but it cuts really deep. She showed them to me. And told me she previously cut on her inner thighs."
My ears perked up at the now, new news. Yes, I knew that Maria had cut her inner thighs, I was the one who had found out. But she had promised that she would never do it again.
She promised me.
She promised me she wouldn't do it .
"We have two choices for your sister, Isabel," The doctor started, sitting up straight now, "One, she goes to a mental hospital so we make sure she stays away from any blades," Fuck no, "Or two, we trust you to keep her away from blades." Now that sounds better.
"I will do that. Don't worry." I said as I got up and started walking to the exit.
Our conversation was short, yet there was so much more I wanted to say, and I didn't know why.
"Isabel, please take care of yourself." The doctor said behind me. I didn't even look at her and just walked out of her office, going straight to Devi's house.

I knew Devi's mom wasn't home, reason why I barged in like I owned the place, of course I took my shoes off, and headed upstairs to where I found Devi and Maria playing Uno on the floor.
My childhood game with her.
Maria looked up at me and smiled, wearing a long sleeved shirt that covered all the way up to the tip of her fingers.
"Hey sis! How was your d—"
"Show me your arms, Maria." She froze. Devi got up from the ground slowly and inched a bit away from me and my sister.
I didn't need to thank her for it, but she knew that I would have said if this wasn't the situation we would be in.
"I don't know what you're talking about." She swallowed, hard enough that I heard from where I was standing.
Not having any patience for this, I kneeled on the floor and grasped her by her wrist, her trying to push me away with her feet and her other hand but to no avail as I pushed the fabric of her sleeve up. She was already crying and I hadn't even seen anything yet. And when I saw, it made me feel something.
For the first time in probably a long time now, I started tearing up. The cuts on all the length of her arm, covered in redness. They were deeper than the ones she had done on her inner thighs, and that's what broke me even more.
"You promised you wouldn't do any of this anymore." I sobbed, a stream of tears falling down my eyes as she sat there, frozen and shocked, probably because it was the first ever time I cried in front of her.
I grasped her arm in my two hands and leaned down onto it, pressing my lips to the first, swollen cut. Then another one. And another one.
She winced, cried, while Devi watched us, and I didn't even have to look to know that she was crying, too.
I kissed all of her scars.
One by one.
Wanting to feel her pain instead of her feeling it. I wanted her to give all of what she felt to me.
Because I don't ever want to see her like this. Never again.