11. Cafe Rue

We pulled up to a café called Rue and he rounded the car to let me out. It wasn't exactly fancy but it definitely looked like it was going to be pricey. I was a little nervous at first but Jamie said it was no problem; he'd pay for us both.

The guy that seated us recognized Jamie right away and gave us what he referred to as the 'best seats in the house'. I slid into the booth and sat across from Jamie looking at the menu. I couldn't pronounce the majority of the dishes. I wasn't sure what to order or how to...

"What're you doing here?"

I looked up in surprise because I recognized that voice. It was Michael's. He was standing before us with the Café Rue's attire. A nice deep red button-down with a grey vest and white bow tie.

"Uh, excuse me?" Jamie said to Michael. I guess Michael did come off as rude. Jamie didn't know that I knew him. I suddenly felt like I needed to explain. I really wanted Michael to go away. He has always been a good friend but it was becoming increasingly awkward having my previous crush know about me liking him while he dated my best friend.

I knew it shouldn't matter anymore since I liked Jamie now but it still kept coming up. I would have to try to push those thoughts away. I wanted to enjoy my morning with Jamie. It was kind of like a date, even though I was sure it didn't seem that way to him.

He looked at me with concern. He didn't seem to like Jamie.

"This is my friend Michael." I tried to explain quickly. Jamie obviously thought he was being rude. Of all people why'd, it had to be Michael? I didn't even know he had a job but that was probably because I never had the chance to eat at a high-end restaurant like this before either.

Michael cleared his throat. "What will you be having?"

"I'll have the gruyere quiche," Jamie said, but didn't look at Michael, he seemed aggravated suddenly. It was only silent a moment before Michael spoke.

"Which one?"

"The one with bacon," Jamie replied.

I felt like I'd lost them. When Michael looked at me I just told him I'd have the same thing, even though it was probably a mistake. I had no idea what he ordered. What was gruyere quiche? What happened to good old grilled cheese?

"Will that be it?" Michael had a temper and I really wished he was better at hiding it. It made me uncomfortable to see him acting that way towards Jamie and me.

"Yes," Jamie said quickly.

"Don't forget about joining us later," Michael said to me like he wasn't in the middle of taking our orders. I just looked at him surprised. Was this the place?

Michael tucked his little order notepad in his apron as he sort of leaned toward me. "Don't forget, Pey." Then he gave me one last look and walked away.

I felt incredibly uncomfortable. Michael was acting so weird. Did he really want me to come to the amusement park with them that badly?

I sent a quick text to Rain asking if she still wanted me to come with on their date. I left out the oddness Michael just displayed. She didn't talk about him as much anymore. She use to go on and on about him, and now she just didn't.

I wondered if that had to do with how he was just being.

Jamie tapped his fingers on the table and then finally looked up at me. "What's up with that guy?"

"I told you he's my friend." I wasn't really sure what else to say and read the text Rain sent back.

We actually canceled that plan, but yeah why not. Let's go! Michael gets off work in like an hour.