13. Goodbye, my love

When I didn't really reply to Jamie's messages yesterday he called me, and asked if I was okay. I guess he sensed I didn't want to talk about our non date date at the amusement park, because he didn't even bring it up.
I imagine it wasn't something he wanted to talk about either. After a few minutes he brought up that play he was talking about seeing yesterday. He asked if I would maybe want to go as friends.
The last part kind of sucked but I agreed, because even though I was sad that the guy I liked didn't like me back, I still had a longing to be with him.
Before I knew it, the play had ended and he was driving me home. The play went nothing like I thought it would. He didn't try to hold my hand or anything. I always expect stuff I shouldn't.
He really seemed to enjoy it despite the fact that I was lost. The play was actually a italian western opera called Arrivederci Amore Mio which Jamie later told me meant Goodbye, My Love.
It was bizarre and I had no idea what was going on. I kind of thought it was Cinderella but there were a lot of horses, they all had cowboy get ups on. It was nothing like I'd ever seen before and it made me question Jamie's taste.
I wasn't about to lie to look like I knew though. "So that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen."
He didn't disagree. "Not all operas are like that I swear but yeah definitely. Especially the part where the step sisters were fighting, and trying to get their big foot in the little glass cowboy boot."
I laughed. It was nice to laugh. "But why was it called 'Goodbye, My Love' if it was just really a weird version of Cinderella?"
"Honestly I'm not really sure." He chuckled. He had a cute laugh, and it was nice to see him opening up a little bit lately. He always seemed so lost in his thoughts and serious I wasn't really sure he could loosen up.
I looked down at my phone as my mom called. I didn't want to answer while I was with Jamie, but she was still at work on a Sunday so I knew she would be busy. It had to be important.
So I apologized and answered her call. "Yes, mom?"
"Peyton Marie Adair!" She was yelling, and I was trying my best to ignore it. I should've seen it coming but heck it was too late. "Where are you?"
I closed my eyes. I just wanted to be with Jamie. I was having fun despite yesterday. "I'm out for a little while."
You'd think she would be happy I was out of the house with someone. But she seemed like she was slightly worried. Maybe it was because I was always a homebody. She probably never thought I'd go out.
Mom ranted for several more minutes. "Are you listening to me?!"
"Not really." I admitted.
"You know to call me. You're grounded." Mom said.
"Just get home." She hung up. I kind of knew she was just on end because she was going out with her boyfriend on a real restaurant date tonight and she was really nervous and out of it.
That and the fact that she was still mad about me not coming home at that time.
I stared out the windshield and tried not to cry. I was so embarrassed. I wondered if he'd heard all that?  "I guess I should go home."
"Are you sure?" He'd heard the whole thing, and was still being nice. I took in a deep breath and nodded. I really wanted to spend more time with him. When we pulled up Michael's car was in my driveway.
    Jamie didn't seem to notice anything though, and we said our goodbyes. I watched him back up and pull away. I just stood there. I heard Michael's car door shut, and him walk over to me.
I turned around and there he stood before me in his Café Rue attire, his light hair in a tousled mess. "I came to check on you. You seemed kind of sad yesterday and that guy..." He trailed off.
I was wondering why he came all the way to my house to check on me when he could've just called or something... "His name is Jamie."
"Well, uh, that Jamie guy sure seemed mad."
"Why do you even care, Michael?" I asked. Was he spying on us? How did he know how we looked?
His eyes settled on me. "I dunno. I just thought...I don't know. I'm just glad you're alright."
I stared back at him. He seemed sincere and stood there for a minute. Then began to walk back to his car. I just stared after him feeling odd. I hadn't seen him much lately, and I kind of missed him. But this wasn't normal for Michael.
"Wait!" I tried to stop him.
"Yeah?"
"What did you really come here for? Are you okay?"
"To check on you." He shrugged but seemed like he was hiding what he wanted to really say. He normally had no problem expressing himself. I wondered if it was because things were as weird now that he thought I liked him still.
"I'm not stupid, Michael. Something's wrong. I'm sure I already think I know but I'd really like if we just bury it and pretend like it never happened." I tried to breathe. Was he listening to me? I just wanted this awkwardness surrounding us to fade so we could be friends again and we could joke and laugh like we used to.
"Are you dating that guy?" He blurted.
"Uh," I stammered for a moment. He had caught me off guard. "Not exactly."
Technically we were married. Not dating. And with the way things were going, it didn't seem like we would ever be dating. I felt kind of down about that. I really liked him. Why did I really like him...
"Not exactly?" He asked. His cool blue eyes searching mine. I couldn't tell him that we were married. Bad enough that I let Rain know.
"I don't really know how to explain it, we're not dating, we're just kind of... I don't..." I was cut off by Michael kissing me.
I immediately pushed him away and wiped my mouth on my sleeve. "W-wha..."
Michael just stared at me looking surprised. I couldn't believe he would do that! "This didn't happen." I was shaking, and couldn't make eye contact.
He was my friend and my best friend's boyfriend and I'm married and I could think of a million reasons why this wasn't right. It didn't feel right either. My heart felt like it'd sunk into my stomach and my head was spinning.
Michael didn't respond and I took it as my chance to get out. I hurried inside past my mom who looked like she was ready to start in again and climbed onto my bed with a groan.
I needed to talk to someone right now to get this off my chest but Rain was definitely out of the question. Her boyfriend just kissed me, and it was all weird and confusing.
Yeah, Okay, I used to like him a lot but things have changed. Things were different now.
I yelled into my pillow. Moments later I heard a knock on my door but I didn't dare budge. There was no one I wanted to see.
The door cracked open and I glanced up. It was my mom.
She had one hand on the door knob the other on her hip. "Is everything alright, Pey?"
What besides being married to a guy who is not interested in me? And that whole incident out front. I stared at her. What did she care for anyways?
"I saw Michael out front."
Of course. I thought. For some reason she had always liked Michael.  Probably because he kept me from failing school. He had been my tutor for a while.
"Everything is fine. He was just making sure I got home okay."
"Well, I know you probably think I won't listen but I'm always here if you wanna talk. I remember being seventeen. Sometimes things can be just plain confusing and a mess."
"Thanks. Everything's fine, mom." I appreciated her trying to be more open with me but there were too many things on my plate to share, and I doubted she would be that understanding.
"Oh," She murmured. She stood there a few more minutes and then added. "I'm going out tonight. Don't wait up."
The moment she shut the door I closed my eyes and tried not to think. I'd have to tell Rain and the thought of that drove me crazy. I couldn't handle losing my best friend.