2. A Husband

Within the next ten minutes, I was home sitting down on the bed just looking around the room. I couldn't imagine how I had been gone for so long? How were 2 weeks just gone from my memory?

I thought about Rain so worried she offered to come inside with me until my mom got home. I insisted I was okay and for her not to say anything to anyone. It was already a mess to explain, I wanted to do it myself.

I leaned over and grabbed my phone charger and plugged the solen phone in. While it was charging I went over to my closet and tried to find something less baggy.

In the mirror in the corner of the room, I got another glimpse of how terrible I looked and I needed to get cleaned up before my mom got home and saw me like this. Especially if she was out these past weeks with police searching for me...

I hit play on my radio and the last song I had been listening to started playing. It was "In My Life" by The Beatles.

When my mind was cluttered I just listened to some music and it made everything better. My usual was The Beatles, and I'd lay there staring at the ceiling until I couldn't think of anything.

I pulled off the baggy clothes and put on my distressed Red Hot Chilli Peppers shirt I usually wore to bed, and a pair of black and white plaid pajama pants.

The phone sitting on my nightstand now coming to life pinging a couple of times, text after text kept popping up. It finally stopped at seven texts. I stared at my phone screen. They were all someone named Conner, but I didn't know who that was.

I sat down on the edge of my bed and lifted the phone to look through it. There wasn't much in it, but there were lots of pictures taken in New York, and a couple the guy and a pretty blond blue-eyed girl. He was smiling but the smile didn't quite meet her eyes.

I pushed my bangs out of my face, the best I could with the bandage in the way and tried to remember anything from last night but nothing came to mind.

I looked at the picture for a couple of minutes. It was definitely the guy I saw before the elevator doors shut. My mind was reeling a little as another text came in and then the phone started ringing.

I didn't answer and nearly dropped the phone. I opened the text though. It was just several text messages asking where I went, and saying to call back. The last text was a little more lengthy.

Hey, it's Jamie. I'm trying to contact you with my friend Conners phone. I guess it died since the calls were going to voicemail until now. Please call me at this number. I'm honestly worried about you.

I reread the message a couple of times, wondering if I should actually call him back, and get answers. Instead, I stood up and tried to unravel the bandage.

It was still pretty tight on my head. It wasn't budging though so I hopped off my bed and walked into the bathroom to cut it off.

I looked at the phone and still no more messages so I set it down on the sink and pulled moms cutting shears out of the toiletry cabinet above the toilet. I slipped it under the brim of the bandage and as I was about to snip the phone starting ringing.

I panicked and tossed it while also cutting a chunk of my bangs off in the process. Then I nearly slapped myself. That wasn't my phone and it could be busted now. I looked in the mirror as the bandage fell into the sink with my poor hair.

There was a small cut surrounded by a bruise that was almost gone on the left side of my forehead nearest my hairline. How did I manage to do that?

I shook my head and bent down to pick up the probably broken phone. It had landed on the bath mat near the tub. I held it in my hand. That's when I noticed that it was okay and that it had answered the call.