36. Not a goodbye

I looked down at my round trip plane ticket. I felt so sad to be leaving, but I had decided to come back.

I thought about waking up this morning to him. He was laying on the pillow beside me looking over at me.

His dark hair was falling into his pretty green eyes. He whispered "Good morning." Then he reached out and pulled me closer so we could cuddle. He smoothed back my hair and kissed my forehead. "How much longer do we have?"

"About an hour." I had whispered back. It suddenly felt like it would ruin everything if we weren't quiet enough.

"Can we stay like this a little while longer?" He asked softly. I snuggled my face up against his chest as his arms tightened around me.

I wanted nothing else in the whole world than to be in his arms for a while longer.

"Pey, you are coming back right?" He asked like he was uncertain. I could hear his heartbeat quicken. I think he was really worried.

"Yeah, I will. I promise. This is not a goodbye." I meant it too.

The rest of the morning I packed up the little bit of stuff I brought, and we had breakfast together in bed. Then headed to the airport so I wouldn't miss my flight.

I sat there waiting for my plane to start boarding.

I was startled by Jamie running up. He was out of breath, and it made me wonder if he ran all this way to get to me. "I..."

He took in a deep breath and sat down beside me. I had so many things I wanted to say to him, but I couldn't get a single word to escape my lips.

He grabbed my hand. We looked into each other's eyes and he half smiled. He suddenly laughed a little, and looked away rubbing his eyes with his other hand.

He looked at me and smiled. "I was going to wait, but I don't think I can let you go without knowing." He got up just to get down on one knee right there in the middle of the airport. He looked up at me with bright green eyes and held up his grandmother's ring. "Will you marry me?"

My heart was thumping and I couldn't believe this was happening. "We are married already..." I whispered. People were staring and I was getting nervous.

I did want to marry him but I didn't think he would ask again so soon. I quickly thought over the last time he asked me, and I didn't want that to happen again.

When I was with him I was so happy. I would say yes this time. I smiled to myself looking at the ring he was holding out to me.

"So is that a yes?"

I giggled. "It is definitely a yes."

The staring crowd clapped and awed. He smiled and put the small band on my wedding finger.

He pulled me up into his arms and showered my face with kisses until my flight was called for.

He pressed his forehead against mine as the passengers began to board. "You can start planning. We will have a real wedding when you get back. I promise."

"Okay." I smiled.

He kissed me again, and held me close.

Then the last call came and he had to release me completely. I stopped before he was out of view and yelled "I love you!"

He had the biggest smile before he yelled back. "I love you too!"

I think I made him blush as well. He smiled one last time and then I disappeared into the terminal.

After the flight my mom picked me up at the airport and on the way home I told her that Jamie proposed and she was quiet for a moment, but then she glanced over at me and surprised me. "Only if I can help plan it."

I was so happy I didn't think anything could ruin this. "Okay deal."

I smiled to myself and down at the ring on my finger.

I couldn't wait to return to Jamie. We were going to get married the right way, and at that moment things couldn't have seemed more perfect.