16. Pretty Girl

I spent as much time as I could on review for the algebra two corrections my teacher had given me until my eyes hurt and my brain felt exhausted.

Jamie messaged me that he had a meeting with his dad who had come back into town for some reason this week but that he could come help with studies after.

He probably came back for the hearing on Friday to make sure he really divorces me. I rolled my eyes.

I had Rain drop me off at Java Queen, and I messaged Jamie that I was getting set up. After reviewing solo for nearly thirty minutes in the corner of the coffee shop I became bored.

I was sketching a frock with floral embroidery. I was trying my best to make it layered with a short tulle skirt. I was never really that great at drawing but I could sketch clothes really roughly.

"What are you drawing?" Jamie asked, surprising me. He had walked up from behind and set a hand on the back of my chair and the other one on the table nearest my math homework with the doodles on the outer edges.

I knew I should have sat facing the door, so I could have seen him coming this way. Now my heart was racing and I felt fidgety. It was the first time seeing him since he nearly kissed me this morning.

I was kind of starting to think maybe I made it all up.

"Um." Was all that seemed to come out. He was so close leaning toward my direction grabbing the paper from my fingertips.

"It's not bad" He looked me in the eyes for a brief moment before dropping the paper and taking the chair in front of me out. "But your math needs some improvement."

My mouth dropped a little even though I knew that was true. He didn't have to point it out like that...

I looked down at the equations and bit my lip. I really did need help with them.

When I looked over at him, and I mean actually looked at him I noticed he wasn't formal today. He was wearing a white t-shirt and dark gray jeans.

"You're dressed differently today." I said out loud and I could feel heat rush to my cheeks.

"Oh, yeah. No meetings or anything for the rest of today."

"But your dad and the meeting?"

"He canceled because of jet lag and said we could pick back up tomorrow. He comes to check on our hotel branch here and there. The one I'm staying at. He will be gone by tomorrow afternoon in time for the all white party." He didn't seem exactly thrilled. "But it's okay. It makes today kind of like a day off."

"Oh, and on your day off you're stuck helping me with my homework. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay really. I don't mind." He said and pulled my textbook toward him. "Now let's start with the basics."

I sighed. Even though I hated math and that's what was giving me time with Jamie I still wished we could just click and be together.

After a couple problems he got up to get us drinks. I pressed my pencil so hard against the paper the led broke and I had to sharpen it again. By the end of the day I was sure my pencil would be a nub. I needed to stop using it as an excuse to take a break.

I cleared the pencil shavings from my paper and looked up at Jamie when he sat back down. He placed a cup at the edge of my paper and smiled. I wanted to ask him about this morning.

I couldn't get the smell of his cologne out of my mind or the almost kiss.

He seemed like he was in a good mood today. "So, do you doodle for fun or something?"

"Yeah mostly. I always have ideas for dresses and outfits. I've never shown anyone before."

"I would've never guessed."

"I can see how." I admitted. I mean I had a pretty good sense of fashion but I never had the means of supporting it so I usually just wore old band t-shirts, or vintage style shirts I found at thrift stores.

I mean don't get me wrong I love these bands but I've always wanted to dress stylish I guess like Rain. "I'm typically a jeans and t-shirt girl."

I loved the idea of cute dresses and cute shirts but I also thought maybe those things wouldn't suit me very well. Someone so ordinary would just look weird in extravagant garments.

"Well, that's okay. I think you look pretty in a dress." He was making me blush. I had forgotten that he'd seen me in a dress before...

"So what are you on?" He pulled my paper toward him and I grabbed my cup of hot chocolate he had placed on the table for me.

I needed to collect myself. He'd already moved back onto my math, and all I could think was he just called me pretty.

I watched his lips move as he explained the next problem.