22. Together

We found what was becoming our usual spot in the corner near the bricked wall with the low hanging lantern lights.

He ordered us drinks and we cracked open the textbook to start. We went over a couple chapters and filled in my homework questions.

After a couple of hours my brain hurt, and I was starting to get distracted by everything though. I wasn't feeling it.

It was already becoming night and they were having their weekly poetry slam. It wasn't entirely all that loud but it was interesting.

Plus I couldn't stop thinking about him and Hollie together. It was depressing me, and I felt like the only reason we were together was because of the homework.

I looked around and saw all these couples watching the slam and wondered what it would have been like if Jamie felt the same way and we came here tonight on a date.

"Pey, are you paying attention?" He had stopped working out the equation and looked up at me.

"Um, I just," I felt bad for zoning out. "I'm gonna go to the ladies' room for a moment."

I excused myself and went to the bathroom. Jamie said he'd work out the rest of the problems we were on and explain it when I got back.

I went to the last sink and looked at my reflection. My face was sort of pink. I was embarrassed about thinking about Jamie and her while I should be studying. He was trying to help me and here I was with my head not in the game.

I glanced over as a couple of girls came in. They were going on about some guy. The redhead seemed agitated with her friend. They seemed to be having a conflict about the guy. It made me think of Rain and how I wish we were talking.

I wanted her to be more understanding. I also wished I had gone after her that time and made her listen to me. Maybe we would still be friends.

The redhead was throwing her hands up as she spoke. I actually thought the show was pretty entertaining, even though I shouldn't be watching.

The other girl argued back as I went to leave the restroom. I didn't need to use it. I just needed to clear my mind. I didn't need to be thinking about anything but studying...

They seemed to be having a silly argument.

"Whatever!" The redhead spat, and nearly pushed me out of the way on my way out the door. On my way back to the table the other girl passed me. Maybe there was hope for them, I thought as I sat back down across from Jamie.

I took a deep breath feeling my mind a little clearer somehow. When I looked up Jamie was looking at me. "Would you be interested in a white party?"

"What?" I was completely surprised. I had just sat down at the table when he asked.

He turned my textbook around so it was facing me. I noticed he had finished my homework and written notes on a separate sheet of paper. I only had a couple of questions left when I went to the restroom and yet he already completed them. I was in awe.

"I was thinking we could take a break. You seem drained." He smiled. "And it's this gathering my parents are having at the end of May. I was wondering if you might want to go?"

"You want me to?" I was surprised he was inviting me to something like that. "Wouldn't you rather Hollie go with you?"

I realized all too quickly that I shouldn't have said that. It came out like I was being super jealous, but I wasn't trying to be. I just didn't want to piss off his girlfriend. It killed me to think of her as his girlfriend...