27. Retake

Rain stayed the night. I think it was exactly what we needed. We spent hours catching up. She told me all about Preston and how dreamy his brown eyes were, and I told her about how I was Jamie's girlfriend now.
After a while she fell asleep first, and I was sort of tired myself. I resisted going to sleep. I needed to cram as much math practice as possible while she slept. I couldn't imagine not graduating with Rain and everyone. It kept me going.
Every so often I would find my mind wandering back to think of Jamie and how he chose me over Hollie.
I hadn't realized I fell asleep until I woke up with a puddle of drool on my textbook. The page was sort of stuck to my face. Rain laughed and helped me out.
I had hardly any sleep but she insisted on going by her house to change. After we got Java Queen to-go coffee.
Rain was in a better mood today, and was even talking about Prom. Even with no guy to go with she was still really excited about it, and she was on the planning committee so she still had to be a part of it anyways.
My mind was mostly on Jamie and how I couldn't wait to be with him again. I needed to stay focused on my math reviews and studies though if I was going to pass the retake tests next friday and it made me nervous, but I had to pass it.
I had to. That was all to it.
"Are you going to prom with your husband?" She surprised me joking around.
"I haven't even thought about prom much. I saw the fliers but..."
"No buts. We're seniors, we have to go." Rain was back to her old self. It was nice that she skipped the awkward slowly getting closer again stage.
"Alright." I laughed.
"We'll go dress shopping after school." She seemed thrilled. It was nice to have her back.
"Who are you going to go with? Are you going with Mr. Cloudson? That's still so weird. You know if you get married you'll be Rain Clouds-on?" I said even though I shouldn't have. I wondered if she would be upset again. She never wavered though. Rain was stronger than I anticipated.
"I'll go stag." She didn't seem to mind. I knew it was because Rain always dreamed of prom. She thought it was the second best day of a girl's formal-life. Wedding day being the first of course.
I looped my arm with hers. "We'll go together."
She smiled. "I'd like that."
"Me too."
The bell sounded and we had to separate. After class I confirmed with Mr. Gonzo that I would be taking the retakes next week. He gave me an extra stack of practice examples and wished me the best of luck. I was way beyond nervous.
I walked down the hall with an arm full of papers and my textbooks. "Let me help you." It was Michael. I knew it automatically.
He took my textbook from my arms and lightened my load a lot. I stared at him. I had been avoiding him and Rain for a while and now that it was all settling it felt weird.
"I heard you were doing retakes. Would you like some help studying?" He asked then added. "As friends."
"Actually that could help a lot, but I don't have too long because I'm going shopping after school." I was trying not to mention Rain in case it was a sore spot for him.
"Oh, okay. Well, let's see what we can get done."
We spent the next thirty minutes in the school library working through some of the practice examples Mr. Gonzo gave me.
I looked across the table at Michael as he tried to explain the problem we were on to me. It was when I realized that even though studying with Jamie was always so distracting he made it feel so easy to understand. I was suddenly missing him a lot.
When the bell sounded I thanked Michael for his help, collected my book and papers and met Rain at her car.
We went to her favorite boutiques. She traveled from store to store with such ease. She knew what she liked and what didn't look right and what material she liked best. I was just happy when my favorite t-shirt was clean.
I noticed I missed a phone call from Jamie as she picked out both of our dresses and that was okay with me. She obviously had better taste.
My dress was a pretty green like Jamie's eyes. The dress had a good four inches of white lace across the waste area. It had a beautiful intricate lace pattern along the edges of the chest and the bottom that reached just barely past my knees.
I felt lovely.
Her dress was a dark blue color and sparkly. It made a heart shape around her chest and the black tulle underneath gave the shorter than knee length dress volume. She looked equally lovely. For once I didn't feel jealous. I felt beautiful alongside my best friend.
As she looked around for a pair of shoes I stepped outside and called Jamie back. I looked up at the sky, it was starting to get dark and street lights were flickering on.
He answered. "Hey, Pey."
"Hey." I smiled. "I want to see you."
"I want to see you too." It made me so happy to hear that.
Rain stepped out of the store rambling about how we would need to go to another store because they didn't have any shoes she liked in her size.
"With Rain?" Jamie asked.
"Yeah." We both sort of laughed.
Rain leaned toward me and took the phone. "You better be taking this girl to prom because she is going to be gorgeous in the dress I picked out."
I shot her a look. I hadn't even been his girlfriend for more than a day and I didn't want to dump anything like that on him. What if he said no?
When she handed the phone back I realized the call had ended. I almost freaked out. "What happened?"
"Oh, he said he was sorry his dad was calling and he had to answer it. He said you could come by if you wanted."
"I very much want." I said and she just giggled.