20. Stay a while

She knew him better, in ways I wish I did. I wish I knew all those little things. I wish I was the only one he had those great memories with. I wish I was the only one that made him happy.

I was ready to collapse the minute I got home. Nobody was home and that was perfectly fine with me. I went straight to my room and laid on my bed face-first into the pillow. What I didn't expect was for Jamie to be there.

I heard him clear his throat. I moved to look up and sure enough there he was sitting at my desk facing me. I was stunned. "I didn't see your car."

"I parked down the street. I wanted to, um, see you and I didn't want you to have to worry about your mom seeing my car in the driveway."

"Oh." I breathed. I was going to ask how he got inside but I remembered I gave him the code to get inside a while ago.

"So, you weren't at school when I came to get you." He raised an eyebrow. "I asked your friend Rain on her way out but she said you left with Michael. I figured I would wait for you here."

"What?" I was totally thrown off.

"Did you leave with him?" Jamie looked serious. Did he really believe that crap? I had questions for him too like was he dating Hollie or not? But I was too embarrassed to speak it.

"No. Of course not. She was probably just mad that I told her about the kiss. She did, after all, go drama queen and declare that we weren't friends anymore."

He seemed to relax a little bit but I was still tense. I couldn't come down from the level of hurt I was at even seeing Jamie. It kind of made it worse.

"How did you get home?" Now he was just curious.

I shook my head and threw myself back against my pillows with a groan. We were alone for once and now all I could think about was how much everything made my head hurt. I closed my eyes and thought about the conversation I just had with his girlfriend.

I opened my eyes but couldn't see him. My eyes filled to the brim with tears. If Hollie was right it was only a matter of time before I lost Jamie completely.

I groaned and sat up hugging a pillow to my chest. Jamie got up from my desk chair and came to sit down on the bed in front of me. Tears rolled down my face.

The room was quiet all but my soft sobs. His eyes lingered on mine, his thumb brushing my tears away.

He looked so concerned but seemed unsure how to comfort me. Then he said softly. "Do you want to talk about it, Pey?" He cleared his throat when he noticed I was surprised. "Is that okay? I just hear your friends and family call you..."

I sniffled a little. "It's okay. You can call me that."

He just looked at me and smiled. It faded a little though when he noticed I was still upset. "What's wrong?"

I looked into his green eyes. I wanted to tell him everything. How upset I was about losing my best friend, how irritated I was with Hollie and Michael, how everything seemed to never work out how I expected or hoped. Oh, I wish I could especially tell him about how heartbroken I was because of him.

With all these things going on all I could think about suddenly was all the almost-kisses recently and how conflicted I felt with the stuff Hollie said.

Tears streaked my face again, my heart throbbing in my chest and a migraine forming. "Um, Jamie. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

I closed my eyes so embarrassed and put my hands over my face. I can't ask him about that...

"What is it?" He seemed intrigued, his hands gently pulling mine away from my face. When I opened my eyes my hands were laying in his in the small space between us on the bed.