33. His Heart

It had been three weeks since I'd seen Jamie prom night in front of the Burger Joint. He called me a couple times and I answered but we were both still hurt so it was kind of awkward. So we just mostly texted each other.
He said he had gone back to New York two weeks ago and mentioned moving to Boston in the next week. I told him I was just finishing up my last days of high school and sent him a message letting him know when my graduation was and I wondered if he would show up.
Graduation day came so quickly. Being an Adair I was second to walk across stage and grab my diploma.
I waved to my family and made my way back to my seat to watch the rest of my class make their way across the stage. I cheered for Rain, Preston, and Michael. We did it! We graduated.
I thought over all this stuff with Jamie. I didn't know where it would go, but I was glad that for once in my life I decided to take my time deciding.
I finally talked to my mom about it one afternoon a few weeks ago. I didn't mention specifics but I mentioned that Jamie wanted me to move in with him in Boston. She said if it was what I really wanted I was old enough to make this decision, but that I should really consider it first.
So that's what I've been doing. All I could conclude was I wanted to be with him wherever that is, whether that be here by the beach, or in the city, I didn't care. I just loved him and I wanted to spend my life with him.
Now I just had to figure out when I would see him again.
I sighed as everyone was gathering to take pictures. I took a few, and then rode home with my mom and Leonard.
When we got back to the house there were a dozen pink roses in a vase at the front door.
"Who's it from?" Mom asked.
Leonard said "Probably Jamie."
As I got closer I noticed a card attached to the vase. I took it inside and upstairs to my room. I set the vase on my desk and admired their beaty while I opened the letter. It said "Today you graduated and I'm so proud of you. I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I'm sorry for everything. You still have my heart."
I took my graduation gown off and sat down on my bed. I was feeling butterflies. He said I still had his heart.
I picked up the phone to call him. I hadn't really talked to him since that night. When he answered he said to hold on a moment and not to hang up. When he came back he said "I'm so glad you called. Sorry we're doing the last touches for the white party."
"Oh, I forgot about that."
"You did? I was hoping you would still come?" He seemed like he was trying to play it cool but really wanted me to come.
"Do you want me to come?" I wanted to but I would go if he wanted me to.
"I really do. I miss you."
"I miss you too."
"I will pick you up from the airport then when you get here. Oh, sorry I have to go. Can we talk later?"
"Yeah. Thank you for the flowers too."
"You're welcome. I meant what I said, sweetheart." He said and someone was talking to him in the background saying to come help. "I'll talk to you later."
Then he hung up. I missed him even more after hearing his voice. It was almost like the misunderstanding was behind us. I knew we would need to talk about it, but in this moment I was happy looking at the flowers he got me, and hearing his voice.