6. Wondrix 607

I caught up to Rain while she was heading to her car after class, and got everything off my chest. Everything that Jamie told me and I was somewhat relieved. I felt odd. I kind of felt like I missed him but she said I only felt that way because he was charming, and apparently charming wasn't a good thing in her book.
"This guy sounds like he's gone mad hatter." Rain said and caught my expression. She pulled me into a hug, then she pulled me away. "You're taking care of yourself right?"
"Yeah. I took my medication. I just feel like I dreamed up all this stuff."
"Why? He hit you with his car. You're better off without that psychopath." Though she didn't exactly like Jamie, and I couldn't really blame her.
"I haven't heard from him in a couple weeks. So I guess he listened to me, and is really going to leave me alone."
    "As he should."
    "I guess I kinda miss him and I hardly know him. It makes no sense I know. I really can't explain it."
I was also worried about a guy I didn't really know, that hit me with his car, married me, and then disappeared from my life. I felt so overwhelmed. I couldn't even concentrate in school.
"You know what?" Rain smiled at me. "Get in."
I didn't argue. I got into her Lexus and tried to buckle up as she sped out of the school parking lot. I settled back against the seat and stared out the window.
"I think," Rain glanced over at me. "You like the idea of this guy being yours but, Peyton, he just used you, to pretend his heart wasn't broken, and to make his family mad or something it sounds like."
I knew she meant well but I didn't want to believe that was all. I knew there wasn't much there, so why was I hanging on like we had an epic romance? I guess I still had a lot of questions, and it all felt unresolved still.
"I was just so upset with him last time I saw him and I didn't even tell you about how he was crying too. He looked miserable and it kind of breaks my heart to think about. It makes me feel like maybe he really was sorry."
"Or he's a good actor." Rain suggested.
"Maybe you're right. I thought he was so good looking and nice, but I couldn't sort the rest of my feelings. They just kind of sat on the lower part of my chest and made me feel weird."
Her slightly joking attitude about the situation shifted to a more serious tone. "Pey, it sounds like you really like him."
I just shrugged because it didn't matter if I did kind of liked him despite everything. I told him to never talk to me again.
"Rain," I said coming out of my jumbled thoughts.
"Yeah?" She glanced over at me.
"Will you take me by the hospital today? I wanted to talk to the doctor that was there the night I came in."
She just nodded, and at the light she took a turn in the opposite direction of the shopping area she was headed to.
We didn't talk much, but listened to our favorite pop songs on the radio. When I go there I told her she could leave and come back for me, but she insisted she was coming in with me.
It took about an hour before I got to see the same doctor that was on the paperwork. His name was Doctor Andrews
We walked into his office, and sat down in leather chairs. Across the mahogany desk sat a man with salt and peppered hair.
I set down the papers and explained to him that I didn't remember my time here, and I wanted to know more.
"You came in with collapsed lung trauma to the chest, and a few cuts. You were rushed into surgery right away."
"How long was I here?" I asked. Rain sat beside me for support but I just felt overwhelmed with questions to ask, and I felt like I was all alone in this.
The doctor walked over to his filing cabinet and searched for my records. When he came back to the desk with an open folder he said. "You were in surgery for about five hours, you stayed in the hospital for seven days.
"I've read through these pages what feels like a hundred times, and I don't see how much the fees are." I was worried the bill would come in the mail and I would have a lot of stuff to explain to my mom.
Dr. Andrews flipped through the paperwork. "The fees are taken care of."
"Huh?" I looked over at Rain confused, and she just shrugged. "I'm sorry, doctor. Can you tell me who paid for them?"
He looked over the desk at me. "It looks like your husband did."
My mouth went dry.
"Um, doctor," Rain started in. "How much were the fees exactly?"
He had us follow him out of the hospital to the nurse's station down the hall. Phones were ringing constantly, and everyone was so busy.
He got ahold of the nurse that was over me for most of my stay here, and she looked up what was billed.
500$ for ambulance ride, 1,000$ for the visit, 10,000$ for the surgery, and an additional 4,000$ for each night I stayed. There were several other charges added. I slid the paper back.
"And you're sure it was covered?" I asked the nurse, and Dr. Andrews was paged somewhere else, so he excused himself.
"Yes, ma'am. It was paid in full by your husband. Is that okay? You seem a little upset." The nurse a petite blond haired woman who looked like she was in her thirties said.
"Yeah it's okay I guess. I just didn't know he took care of it. That was nice of him."
"I remember he said he didn't want you worried. He was really worried himself."
"He was?" I asked. "I'm sorry I have no memory of that time.
"Oh yeah. He stayed by your side the whole time you were here. He only left a couple times to change and always came back."
"Oh. Well, thank you." I was a little surprised he did all that for me. A seventeen year old girl he didn't know.
Then I thought about how he hit me with his car and that's why all this happened. I guess he really did feel bad about doing it. He was crying. He did say he was sorry.
We were almost back to Rain's car when I said "I think I should go talk to him."
She nodded. "After all that I think that might be a good idea, but first shopping okay?"
"But don't you think I should go now?"
"Pey, calm down. You need this. When you let yourself calm down a little I'll take you to go see him. Do you even know if he's home?"
"I guess we will find out." I texted his number.
Can I come over?
It was a few minutes before he replied. I was staring out the window at the passing trees, houses and fleeting people. Then I looked down and noticed he replied.
Wondrix 607
I just stared at it until it processed. It had to be his hotel room that I ran out of half-naked looking like a troll doll that morning I woke up married. I shook my head, hoping the image would fade.
"Rain, do you remember where you picked me up that day?" I knew she would know what I was talking about.
She gave me this look. I knew she didn't want to take me there, but she did. She turned off and went in that direction. Moments later we emerged into the downtown part of the city.
It seemed different. Less cold and scary I guess now that I wanted to be here.
She let me out at the front of the Wondrix hotel building instead of the backside where I ended up last time. I looked up at the tall buildings. It seemed to be at least seven stories tall. "Hey don't forget about our raincheck shopping. And call me when he kicks you out and throws a divorce paper at you." Rain yelled out the window joking.
I disregarded her and went inside. It took me a couple minutes to find the elevator. I stood there in the elevator with three other people. A tall guy watching YouTube videos on his phone, a plump woman wearing a flowery dress holding a matching little girl's hand.
I looked at my reflection in the elevator doors and was sort of glad that I was with them instead of Opal like last time.
I went to get off when the doors opened but I could see a few of the doors were in the five hundreds. I figured the next floor. The plump lady and little girl got off, and then we went up. Just me and the tall YouTubing dude.
When the doors opened again I went to bolt but he moved fast nearly knocked me over. He walked quickly down the hallway still glued to his phone. I straightened up and followed the door numbers.
601...602...603...604...605...606...
I stopped in front of 607 and took a deep breath and went to knock. I looked at my hand in midair as he opened the door and looked at me. His jade eyes peeked through his dark hair. The corner of his lips were slightly parted and it was kind of cute. "Would you like to come in?"
I lowered my hand and put it in my pocket before walking inside. It was kind of dim inside besides the slanted sunlight stripped across the carpet in front of his grey couch.
He had a couple boxes behind the couch. Was he moving?
He shut the door behind us and put a hand on my shoulder turning me around to face him. He looked like he was going to say something. His lips were parted again, but nothing came out.
"Jamie, you don't have to feel bad. Okay?"
"I do though..."
"I believe you that it was a mistake." I held my hand over my body referencing where my lung had collapsed. "You hurt me, but you took care of me. You paid those hospital bills, and you stayed with me."
His eyes were locked on mine, and he was like six foot something so I was having to look up at him as I continued. "So don't feel so bad. Thank you for taking care of me despite everything."
"Are you sure you're okay with it?"
I nodded my head. I didn't want to hold a grudge against him. I didn't feel mad, just a little thrown off by all of this still. I mean it was definitely getting better, but still it was a lot to accept.
He ran a hand through his dark hair and looked away briefly before letting out a breath and looking back at me. "Well, um, I guess we better talk then. Huh?"
"Yeah we probably should." I clasped my hands tightly together. I was a little nervous about being alone with him. Not that I thought he'd do anything really but because he was a cute guy and I was awkward and I had no idea what to say to him.
"Where do we start?" He asked and I just shrugged. I had no idea what to do in this sort of situation. His eyes settled on mine for just a moment before he asked. "Would you like something to drink?"
"Sure."
I followed him into a small kitchen where he opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water and handed it to me. I played with the cap while he straightened up all the newspapers and textbooks on his table.
I briefly saw a plane ticket he had covered up. I thought about the boxes behind the couch. Maybe he really was leaving.
I pulled out the dark wood chair and plopped down just as he did. He bit his lip looking down at the papers. I wondered if this was as awkward for him as it was for me. "So, uh, I called my dad."
I just stared at him. I had no idea what that meant.
He finally looked up. "He contacted his lawyer and he says that you being underage at the time of our marriage constitutes grounds for an annulment."
His eyes gave him away, not that he was smiling, but I could tell that he didn't really like talking about this kind of stuff. It was just a mess, and he was having to clean it up, because obviously I was hopeless.
"Oh. Okay. So what will we do?"
"We'll be required a trial and hearing before a judge to prove the grounds for an annulment. And since you're underage, my dad says that it'll probably be passed."
I hated that he was basically telling me I was a kid. "Just so you know, I'll be eighteen in a couple months."
His lips parted. I loved when he did that. Did he know how adorable he looked? He just stared at me surprised by my sudden outburst. "Well, our claim for annulment will be waived once you pass age of consent. But don't worry. Everything should be taken care of before then."
I just stared at him. Our eyes connected. I felt slightly frustrated. "I get the feeling that you don't like me."
"It's not that, Peyton." He took my hands away from the water bottle I was fiddling with instead of drinking. He held both my hands in his in the middle of the table, like that made things much more serious or something. "You're a nice girl and all, it's just..."
"I'm too young." I interjected.
He pressed his lips together and said nothing. I guess that answered my question.
He looked down, and I just looked at him. His hair falling into his face, our hands still together in the middle of the table, and my face turning a deep shade of pink no doubt.

He liked to hold my hands like it was so natural. I wondered if he actually cared about me?
"You're only in this mess because of me." He seemed like he was trying to think out each word carefully. "Surely this would put a damper on your plans."
"What plans?" I asked and I was glad his pretty green eyes were on mine again.
"Life after high school. You know college, boyfriends, parties, whatever."
I raised an eyebrow. "You obviously don't know me. I have no plans, no life, and no boyfriend. My mom complains that I have no ambition. Sorry to break it to you, Jamie, but you married a nobody whose future is pretty flimsy and unclear."
Which was true, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I always thought I'd have more time but here I was.
He made this face like he was gonna laugh at me, and then pulled his hands back. "You shouldn't talk like that."
It fell silent for a minute after that, and I wasn't sure what to contribute to the conversation anymore. Then I asked. "When this is all over will we be friends?"
"Uh" He wasn't sure. I could tell.
"Forget I asked." I was quick to say.
He just kind of tilted his head and half smiled. "I suppose we could try to be friends."
"You should tell me something."
"What?" He queried.
"Something about yourself."
"Like what?"
I stared at him. What did I want to know? All I knew was his name was Jamison Kade, that he had these pretty green eyes and dark brown hair that he got from his mean mother, that his heart was broken, and that he needed me. Or maybe I was the one that needed him.
He leaned back and looked at the ceiling. "I like the color green."
I smiled. I liked the color green too, it reminded me of his eyes, but that wasn't what I meant exactly. I think. "What else?"
"Well, I told you I came here to see Hollie. I actually was running away from my parents. I think I just used her as an excuse. I only intended on staying here a few days,"He motioned around the almost empty room. "But you know stuff happened. Anyways, in a way it's been a vacation from them. Even if my mom has flown out here twice to see me. They hate each other. My parents do."
Well, that was a big jump from the color green, I thought.
"How's your dad?"
"He's okay. I only see him a couple times a year really with college in NYC and all." He seemed a little depressed. I figured I shouldn't push any further but he continued. "He's CEO over a hotel chain, and remarried when I was still in highschool. I don't see him much because he lives in Boston."
"I'm sorry." I didn't know how to make him feel better, and it really sucked. He had more going on than I thought. His parents didn't seem like they were in his life in a positive way.
"It's okay. I'm sorry for dropping that on you." He glanced over at me. "My dad thinks my mom is drowning me in her grief. Not that he really cares, that's just what he says. He thinks she's still hung up on him, which she is. She's pretty sour about it too. I guess it's because Meredith is only a few years older than I am."
"Wow." I breathed. "I'm actually kind of surprised that you are sharing this with me."
"Well, you are my wife."
"You shouldn't joke about that."
He shook his head. "So, tell me about your mom. She seems, uh..."
"I know. She always seems like there's something aggravating her. She probably hates that I didn't follow in her footsteps." I confessed.
I wondered for a moment why I told him that. I felt so comfortable telling him it too. I hadn't even told Rain before. I guess I just felt like she wouldn't understand. Her parents were happily still together after 20 years and going strong. I guess in their case money brought happiness.
"Are her footsteps big?"
I looked at him surprised. I didn't expect him to ask me that.
"I guess. She was a cheerleader, popular, got perfect grades, and everything."
"Are those things important to you?"
"Not really. I could honestly care less." I found myself staring at my hands. "I don't really want to talk about her."
"It's okay." He said. "I understand more than you could imagine. My dad wants me to take after him and take over the business some day."
"Wow. That sounds rough." Here I was complaining about my mom not being happy I didn't turn out to be a cheerleader with a ton of friends, while he was being forced to one day become a CEO of some company he seemed like he wanted nothing to do with.
It was silent. I wished I hadn't cut the conversation short but there wasn't much to talk about with my mother. She was overbearing at times and embarrassing.
"You know, I'm glad you came over."
I kept looking at my fingers. "You are?"
"Yeah. I mean despite the annulment talk, this was kind of nice." He glanced at his watch suddenly. "I should probably take you home, huh?"
"I suppose so." I shrugged. I didn't really want to go home. I wanted to stay here and get to know him better. But I didn't push it. He probably had had a long day and I should go.
I didn't really want to go home, but I didn't push it.
I looked at him as we went out the door, I knew this couldn't last. He looked back at me and sort of smiled and I knew that in the end I would be heartbroken.