28. Paint Pants

I was excited to see him. I stood outside his hotel room almost as nervous as I was excited. I had my algebra 2 textbook with me even though I didn't want to study, I just really needed to.

I thought about how quickly I had Rain take me home to hang my new dress up in my closet and run back downstairs yelling at my mom I was going out with Rain. Though I knew I was coming to Jamies.

Finally, I knocked on the door. After a moment Jamie opened the door. He had the cutest grin on his face.

He was wearing a white shirt and faded jeans with a rip in the knee and old dried paint splattered on it. I'd never seen this version of Jamie and I liked it.

He opened the door wider for me to come in and then he shut it behind us. He led me to the living room. "I hope you don't mind, I ordered us food."

I looked at the boxes of food on the coffee table and was so grateful. I was so tired from not getting much sleep last night, and I'd been drinking coffee all day on an empty stomach. I was rather hungry.

He took my textbook and set it down out of the way, on the opposite side of the table from where we were sitting down. At first, we ate in silence. He had gotten us spaghetti and garlic bread.

"So prom, huh?"

"Oh god. That's embarrassing. I was hoping you didn't hear that."

He twirled his fork in the noodles. "Why are you already going with someone else?"

"Of course not. You are my..." I was finding it so conflicting what he actually was supposed to be called. Was he just my boyfriend or was I supposed to call him my husband?

"You're so cute when you're thinking." He wiped some sauce off the side of my mouth I hadn't realized was there.

"Um," I was full of butterflies with him calling me cute. "Would you want to go to prom with me? I just kind of thought that since you're out of high school you wouldn't want to do something like that."

"If you want me to go I will. I just want to be with you."

"I want that too," I said and told him about the dress that Rain picked out for me. I liked the color a lot.

I was really excited that we were going to this thing together. I would have to let Rain know. I hoped she would be okay with it. If she wasn't I would have to let Jamie know that she needed me.

After we were done eating he put the leftovers in the fridge and came back. "So when's the retakes again?"

"Next Friday."

He sat down beside me and cracked open the textbook. We were sitting on the floor in between the couch and coffee table.

A couple of papers fell out that Michale had tried to help with. It only took a matter of minutes before the table was full of papers and he was trying to help me with a math problem.

I was looking at the rip in the knee of his jeans. I knew this would happen. I knew he would be distracting, but I also didn't care because I was so happy to be with him.

"Pay attention." He chuckled glancing up at me.

"I'm sorry. I've just never seen you wear these pants before."

"What?" He stopped working on the problem and looked down at the rip. "Oh, these are my paint pants."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Your what?"

"Hey, it's not funny." He said but he was totally trying not to laugh too.

"What are paint pants?"