Labyrinth

We trudge through the endless sea of sand, the Hall of Souls looming before us like an ancient, forgotten monolith. Trose, always the stoic, is a steadfast presence at my side. The air is heavy and silent, as if the world itself holds its breath in anticipation of our arrival. As we draw nearer, a jade-colored door begins to materialize before us, rising like a specter from the coarse grains of the sand. It is a colossal structure, forged from what appears to be burnished gold and decorated with intricate symbols that dance and weave across its surface like an ancient song. The door stands as tall and as mighty as the eons, its edges adorned with semi-precious stones that shimmer in the twilight, casting a kaleidoscope of colors on the surrounding barren landscape.

"Going to yell at this one too?" I quipped. 

Trose kept his eyes glued to the door. "Aye, boyo" he muttered, "feels like ages since I last stepped through here. But somethin' ain't right this time."

"What is it?"

Before I can question him further, Trose strides towards the door, his eyes fixed on a cluster of briar patches sprouting at the base. Unsheathing his sword with a swift, practiced motion, he slashes at the thorny tendrils. A chilling hiss echoes around us as the briars recoil, shriveling back into the sand from which they sprung. With the obstruction cleared, the door creaks open and we begin to make our way inside. As we enter our dilemma begins to make sense. A staircase leads downward, each step echoing in the unnatural stillness of the hall. The sandstone walls, once resplendent in their hues of gold and red, now seemed to bleed into a pallor of icy blue. The briar patches we had previously seen at the door were making an unwelcome reappearance, their thorny tendrils weaving an intricate pattern on the walls and the floor.

The deeper we tread, the denser the briar becomes, creeping over the stone steps like a sinister shroud, their menacing thorns glinting ominously under dim torchlights. The air grows heavier with the scent of petrichor and something else - an underlying tang of decay. The hair on the back of my neck prickles and a chill runs down my spine. I glance at Trose who seems to be in deep thought, his eyes clouded with concern. We reach the bottom of the stairs and are met by a sight that steals our breath away. A massive corridor stretches out before us, shrouded in darkness and tangled with briars. The thorny tendrils snake across the walls and floor, an insidious labyrinth of shadows and prickling danger. The air here feels colder, the quiet more oppressive.

I glance at Trose, his normally jovial face hardens, his eyes steeling themselves for the trials to come. I turn back to the shadowy expanse before us, a knot of dread twisting in my gut. "This feels like a trap." 

Trose lets out a dry laugh, the sound echoing eerily in the vastness of the maze. "Yeah, lad". 

He strides over to the closest wall, yanking a torch from its holder. The flame flutters wildly, throwing long, twirling shadows that prance and spin across the stonework. "It's as obvious as the morning after a tempest-tossed night." He spins around to face me, the flickering torchlight highlighting the contours of his face. His eyes, normally sparkling with good humor, are now as piercing and cold as a winter's dawn. "This isn't just any old maze, Issac. This is a gauntlet, a blockade, a stronghold built by something that prefers its own company. It's a cautionary tale – intruders best turn back, or deal with whatever lurks in the shadows." His gaze locks onto mine, the weight of his words sinking heavily into the silence that stretches between us. "And yet, it's a trap we step into willingly, all for the sake of those souls caught in its clutches".

I nod somberly, understanding the weight of our task. Bracing myself, I turn to meet Trose's gaze. "For Zion." 

As we delve deeper into the labyrinth, every echo, every crunch of our boots against the stone floor reverberates ominously through the silence. Our steps grow more cautious, more deliberate, as we navigate through the ever-tightening snarl of briars. The torchlight flickers uncertainly, casting an eerie, wavering glow that barely penetrates the encompassing darkness.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I see a flash of white darting across the path. I turn abruptly, peering into the shadows, my heart pounding in my chest. There, in the dim light, a small skeleton crouches on the ground, its bones glowing with a luminous sheen. It flutters its tiny bony hands, beckoning me.

The tiny skeleton was a chilling, yet captivating spectacle. I felt a draw to it, an undeniable compulsion to follow. I throw a look back at Trose, the wavering torchlight throwing harsh shadows across his face. His eyes lock onto mine, a serious comprehension mirrored in their depths. "Issac, I get the feeling something's been shattered from way back when. Walk with caution. This place... it's a labyrinth of recollections, and not all of them are agreeable."

"Got it." I said. 

I cast a final glance at Trose then, with a deep breath, I turn my focus back to the small skeleton. It watches me with an inscrutable stare, its bony form radiating a strange glow in the dim light. Giving a tiny nod, as if to confirm my readiness, it suddenly springs to its feet and darts down the corridor. I follow, my heart pounding as the skeleton's pace quickens. Through winding turns and twisted paths, I do my best to keep up, my boots crunching loudly on the stone floor, echoing off the labyrinthine walls. The skeleton, however, moves like the wind, its lithe form darting nimbly through the briar-infested corridor. I realize, with a sinking feeling, that I'm losing sight of it, the flickering torchlight barely illuminating its ghostly form.

I give chase, my breath coming in ragged gasps, but the skeleton moves too fast. Soon, it disappears completely, swallowed by the labyrinth's shadowy expanse. Panting, I skid to a halt, my breath misting in the frigid air. I look around, my pulse thundering in my ears. The labyrinth stretches out ominously before me, a maze of shadows and thorns.

A chilling realization dawns on me - not only am I alone, I am also utterly lost. I spin around in a desperate attempt to locate Trose, but he is nowhere to be seen. The corridor, once teeming with the echo of our boots, now stands eerily silent. My heart sinks as the gravity of the situation dawns on me. I am alone with no light in a labyrinth of shadows, surrounded by unknown dangers.

I begin to stumble blindly in the darkness, reaching out for any kind of orientation. But instead of finding the cold stone of the labyrinth walls, I feel a biting sting as my hands collide with the thorny briars that seem to have grown thicker in the shadows. The sharp barbs pierce my skin and a warm trickle of blood runs down my fingers. It feels as though the labyrinth itself is closing in on me, the thorns growing and moving in the shadows like a living entity. My heart beats in my chest like a war drum, the fear tangible in the dense air of the corridor.

With a grimace, I reach down to my belt and unsheathe the Flame of Zion. The weapon feels comforting in my grip, its familiar weight serving as a silent reassurance in the face of the unknown. The blade gleams even in the low light, the intricate runes inscribed on its surface glowing with their own light. I begin to slash at the encroaching briars, the blade slicing effortlessly through the thick tendrils. But they seem to grow right back, as though the labyrinth is determined to keep me trapped within its shadowy depths.

With a final, desperate exertion, I heave the Flame of Zion upward, slashing through the dense wall of briars. The blade cuts through the thick tendrils, searing them back with a sizzling heat. Suddenly, from between the severed stalks, a sliver of light breaks through, a sharp contrast to the oppressive darkness of the labyrinth. The sight fills me with renewed vigor, and I plunge toward it, tearing into the briars with all my might.

As I emerge into the light, the surrounding scenery shifts abruptly. The cold, stone walls of the labyrinth recede, replaced by a vast, desolate landscape of dust and rubble. I blink in confusion, my heart pounding as I take in the stark scenery. The dry, sun-scorched land, the distant roar of explosives, the ominous drone of circling helicopters - it's all painfully familiar.

I'm no longer in the labyrinth. I'm back in the Middle East.