Part 2-Chapter 10 Deliver Us From Evil

Trose spun amid the incoming battle, throwing my helmet towards me with an unerring aim. His sapphire eyes glinted with fierce determination as he braced for the imminent impact from The Destroyer. The thorn barreled into him like a freight train. But Trose, stood unyielding as the two beings locked gazes, their eyes reflecting the eternal struggle between good and evil. The Destroyer, seemingly amused, grinned, exposing row upon row of jagged, onyx teeth. "Where is your Vine now?" he sneered, spitting the name out like a vile curse. Trose's answer was unbending, "He's here," came the firm rebuttal, "In every breath we're drawin', every skirmish we're in. He's gifting us with His presence, even in our murkiest hours." 

With a swift and sudden movement, Trose leaned back, his form rippling with strength. His giant talons, gleaming like polished silver, launched forward with an unstoppable force, striking The Destroyer square in his chest. The beast's laughter was abruptly cut short as the impact sent him hurling through the air, his massive form tearing through the sky like a comet. The thorns hulking form disappeared into the distance, leaving a trail of sand in its wake.

Before The Destroyer could even muster his might, Trose was already perched atop his colossal torso, trapping him decidedly under his weight. He gazed down at the horned beast, his eyes ablaze with a detestation so powerful it was almost tangible. "Ye Thornies," he started, his voice reverberating through the stagnant desert wind, "are a disgrace. Ye've abandoned yer Master and betrayed Him, the One who bestowed upon you your very existence." From Trose's cloak, a sword, sleek and silvery, emerged. The blade glowed ominously, casting elongated, stark shadows across The Destroyer's twisted visage. As Trose knelt, the thorn's black wing, enshrouded in an aura of darkness, twitched helplessly beneath him.Trose aimed to behead The Destroyer with a swift, decisive stroke, but something unexpected happened. The Destroyer's hand shot up, catching the gleaming blade mid-air. The thorn's roar of agony sliced through the air, a gruesome testament to the desolation brought about by its defiance.

Suddenly, he began to chant, an incantation that seemed to vibrate with an otherworldly menace. A chill slithered down my spine, my heart pounding against my chest like a war drum. I turned my gaze to the battlefield, the once empty sands now teeming with dark, shadow-like beings. They moved like smoke, ominously swirling and twisting against the backdrop of war-torn buildings. My blood ran cold at the sight, realizing too late the danger that had manifested. "Trose!" I called out in warning, but the desert swallowed my voice. Before I could sit up, the shadows pounced. Trose was obscured beneath the dark mass, his silver figure swallowed by the blackness. Despair clutched at my heart, my fingers closing around the helmet Trose had thrown my way earlier. The battle had taken a grave turn.

I realized that the shadowy creatures were the same flying monsters from when we landed at the temple. Now there were dozens of them all trying to overtake Trose. Rage began to simmer within me, a living, breathing entity that threatened to consume me whole. The sight of my friend being set upon by those hellish creatures, was more than I could bear. Then, from amidst the melee, a figure emerged. The Destroyer, his sneer visible even from this distance, raised a sinewy arm, pointing directly at the beleaguered Guardian. "Finish him," he commanded. His minions, spurred on by his command, increased the ferocity of their attack. Trose was outnumbered, and I knew, deep down, he could not hold them off for long. A tremor of fear wound its way through me, but it was quickly quashed. I would not - could not - stand by while my friend fell.

With blood matting my hair and streaming down my face, I stumbled to my feet. My hands shook as I gripped the helmet, my fingers sliding on the slick interior. With a grimace, I slowly began to strap it on, the weight of it settling heavily on my shoulders. The battlefield before me was a blur of darkness and chaos, but I could still make out The Destroyer and his minions. The beasts' laughter echoed mockingly in my ears, but it didn't deter me.

Slam! The helmet locked on, sealing out the din of battle. "Listen up, you maggot!" I bellowed, my voice cutting through the chaos like a hot knife through butter. "My buddy was damn right about you creeps."

Taking a forceful step forward, I gripped the Flame of Zion tighter. "And you better be shitting in your pants right now!"

The Destroyer turned, his pace slow and deliberate. The ground trembled beneath his heavy tread as he began to move towards me. His crimson eyes were fixated on me, glinting with a sadistic glee. His voice, a grating symphony of malicious intent, echoed through the air, the words he uttered drenched in scorn. "You, Isaac," he sneered, "you're nothing more than a failure. A child killer." Each word was a venomous dart, aimed right at my heart. "You've dared to call yourself a father, when you've done nothing but bring pain and suffering to those around you," he continued, his voice rising and falling with the rhythm of his malicious taunts. I could see the twisted satisfaction in his eyes, aware that his words were hitting their mark. "You don't deserve to live, Isaac. You're not worth the air you're breathing." His laughter echoed once more, a chilling reminder of the lies he was weaving around me. But I stood my ground, my grip on The Flame of Zion tightening, the heat of the blade searing a path of resolve down my arm. I remembered Dove's words as they began to flow through my lips.

"In the name and authority of the Vine," I declared, my voice steady even as The Destroyer's laughter echoed malignantly in my ears, "I command you to the throne of Zion for judgment." I advanced, my steps resolute and unwavering. The Flame of Zion burned brightly in my hand, casting a warm, radiant glow that cut through the now howling wind. "With this sword, I now bind you!"

As the words left my lips, a strange sensation began to envelop me. I could feel myself changing, my physical form shifting and morphing right on the battlefield. Glancing down, I watched in awe as my arms began to transform, my flesh and bones reshaping into a pliant, strong wood. The metamorphosis continued, the transformation sweeping through me like a wave until I stood, not as a man, but as a living, breathing branch. The transformation was not a painful one, rather it felt like a release, an unveiling of a strength unknown. I could feel the raw power coursing through me, the authority vested in me, a testament to my mission and resolve. The Destroyer's laughter ceased abruptly, his scowl deepening as he took in my new form.

"Isaac, now!" Trose screamed. 

With a roar, my hand tightened around the hilt of the Flame of Zion. The blade burst into a scorching inferno, the flames dancing like a furious tempest around the blade. The air crackled with raw energy and the tang of smoke, the heat of the blade warming my hand as I ran, my feet pounding against the ground. As I neared The Destroyer, I leapt forward, my body propelled by an unseen force. The Flame of Zion came down in a swift, unerring arc, aimed directly at the demon's exposed neck.

The Destroyer let out a gut-wrenching scream, his hands reaching up in a feeble attempt to halt the inevitable. His gnarled fingers wrapped around the blade, the heat of the flames searing his thorny flesh. But I was resolute, my eyes locked onto his as I drove the blade further, my shout of defiance echoing against the walls of the battlefield.

With one final, forceful push, the Flame of Zion cut clean through, severing The Destroyer's head from his body. The thorn's scream was cut off abruptly as his body sagged and then crumpled, the head rolling away to stop a few feet from me. I stood panting, the Flame of Zion still clutched tightly in my hand, its flames dying down to a soft glow. The Destroyer was no more.