𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 19
𝙷𝙾𝙽𝙴𝚂𝚃𝚈

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Sabrina sunk into the passenger seat of Charlie's cruiser and swallowed hard, tightly pulling her jacket closer to her body and gnawing on her bottom lip.

"Hey, I know that look. I don't like that look," Charlie commented, taking note of his niece's anxious state, "It means we have something to worry about. And we don't, do we?"

Sabrina let out a shuddering breath, feeling like the temperature in the car had dropped another ten degrees.

"No," she answered, shaking her head with her eyes screwed shut, "No we don't."

"Exactly," Charlie nodded, reaching out to take her hand while keeping one hand firmly on the wheel, "You're okay, Brina. We're okay. And that's all they need to know."

Sabrina had been free to live with Charlie for almost five years now but that freedom was not unconditional.

Once a year, child protective services would drop by for a check-in. It used to be once every three months but that wasn't necessary anymore seeing as Sabrina had been adjusting so well.

The state would send someone in to assess the living situation, talk to Charlie and her teachers, maybe some friends and neighbours too and just gain some insight into the quality of Sabrina's life. That part was always easy. But then they'd talk to her. And she'd have to answer questions she didn't like. Questions that tended to dredge up the painful memories that Sabrina had shoved down and so carefully kept under lock and key.

The last few times they checked in, she'd handled it well. Really well. In fact, the experience could've even be called rather pleasant.

You'd think that, now with all the new friends Sabrina had made and the major improvements in her academics and class participation — not to mention some of the healing she'd undergone after helping destroy the man that had killed her brother — that she'd be more ready than ever to face the past.

But she wasn't. Because this time... things had changed.

The Cullens weren't there with her anymore to pick up the pieces if she happened to fall apart and while they'd given her the strength to handle it on her own, Sabrina was still missing a big part of her life: Jacob.

Her best friend had been MIA for weeks now. It was like he'd suddenly dropped off the face of the earth. No texts, no phone calls, nothing. And in his wake he'd left a giant gaping hole that Sabrina hadn't been prepared to patch up.