Chapter 42

As they were leaving the haunted house, Duan Jiayan seemed to almost feel a sense of release. Compared to the staff that scared them occasionally, it was more draining to be walking with Lu Xingci.

Chen Yue and Zhou Xingchen left the house earlier than them and were waiting by the exit.

When he saw Duan Jiayan, Zhou Xingchen seemed to still feel dredges of fear in his heart, “What was up with that female ghost just now? Coming as and when she wanted to, not even letting us prepare ourselves.”

Duan Jiayan laughed, “You were screaming so wretchedly, it’s good that she didn’t get scared by you.”

As he was laughing, the sound of a young kid crying travelled over.

It was a little girl who seemed to be around five to six years old, wearing a pale downy jacket. She looked just like a little ball.

Seeing that there was no adult around her, Duan Jiayan shot a few more glances in her direction. Even when they were about to leave, the little girl was still crying.

Duan Jiayan informed the others and made his way over.

He hesitated for a moment before squatting down, quietly saying, “Little girl, where are your parents?”

“I dwon’t know… Cawwot find papa…”

The little girl was crying so hard that Duan Jiayan could only gingerly rub her head. Sensing that she was not rejecting his touches, he reached out to pat her on the back, “Don’t cry, don’t cry, gege will stay with you for a while. Your mama and papa will come to look for you soon.”

After hearing this, the little girl raised her big eyes full of tears and looked at him.

He was good looking, with an air of a clean youngster on his body. The girl watched as Duan Jiayan shot her a smile, before taking a few steps forward and hugging him.

Duan Jiayan never thought that she would not be afraid of strangers. After realising what happened, he immediately opened his arms and hugged her.

Zhou Xingchen had originally wanted to ask him why he walked over for but after seeing what was happening, he was struck dumb, “Is the person hugging the small child in front of me Duan Jiayan?”

Lu Xingci saw him looking as if his world had turned upside down and laughed, “What about it?”

“I thought he’d be like those that will threaten to beat up any little kid that cries in his household,” Zhou Xingchen had a look of disbelief on his face. “He actually knows how to coax little kids?”

Chen Yue was also curious, “I also find it amazing.”

Chen Yue looked at Lu Xingci who did not seem surprised by what he saw and asked, “You don’t think this is anything special?”

“I saw him taking care of his younger brother,” Lu Xingci thought back to the scene in the hospital. “He’s actually quite soft-hearted.”

Chen Yue, “……”

Chen Yue thought this must be what it’s like to look at someone through love-tinted filters.

After a while, the little girl’s parents managed to find her.

Her parents were an alpha-omega pair. The omega’s emotions were a little unstable, their eyes turning red after seeing their daughter. Seeing Duan Jiayan hugging her, both of them kept thanking him profusely.

Duan Jiayan ended up being a little embarrassed by the parent’s enthusiastic response. The little girl was brought into the omega’s embrace and the omega seemed to be speaking to her quietly. She suddenly turned her head around and shot Duan Jiayan a bright smile.