46. A Death's Siren's Cry

(WARNING: This chapter contains graphic content, proceed with caution)

Rhea

Is this what death feels like?

Your mind breaking into pieces, your heart no longer beating at a normal pace, and you're numb. 

Cold, I feel so cold. Like I've been dropped into the iciest depts of waters, left to drown and sink into nothing. 

My life is leaving me. My memories are flashing too fast for me, like a camera blinding me. 

My chest is in excruciating pain. 

What the fuck is happening? Am I dreaming this? 

"No," I whisper to myself. 

"Yes," I hear echo throughout the ballroom. 

I look up, seeing a dead man. 

"You're dead," I mumble. 

"Not quite," a charming grin etches into his lips. 

"I saw you, you were bleeding," I gaze into his eyes. 

I back up a step when I see him walk towards me. "It's easy to fake a death when you're working with the ones who kill you." 

I shake my head, staring into my dead best friend's eyes. He's dead. 

But he's not. His eyes are so full of life. Not warmth, but life. A purpose to live is settled into his eyes. 

He's a couple steps away from me, and for some reason it terrifies me. Why do I feel uncomfortable? It's Allen. 

My Allen. 

"Stop right there," I shout. 

He does. His smile tells me the pleasure he gets from seeing my face. 

I stare at the man I used to know as a boy. 

What happened to you? Where did you go? Where is that warmth, that look you'd give me when we were younger. Like I meant something to you. 

"Who do you think planned for them to come to the hotel?" He taunts. "I was a member of the M.A.!" 

I stay silent. 

"Our plans would've gone right if you hadn't met him," Allen looks to Elijah. 

Elijah keeps his eyes trained on me. Some of his sanity returning as he stares into me with concern. 

I don't feel right. 

My breath is coming out in raspy gulps. 

I hear a chuckle ring throughout the air. That voice, that laugh. The past months I've been begging to hear that again. 

But it doesn't feel as comforting as it used to. 

"Always the same Rhea," he smirks, "always a delicate little girl who needs someone to protect her, to check on her." 

In the corner of my eye, I see Elijah making his way to me. 

Get it together. 

Lives are on the line. 

I promised. I promised every family outside of these walls that I'd protect them. The little girls and boys, they're counting on me. 

Elijah, Dal, Liam, Bellie, my soldiers, my maids, my servants, my citizens, they're counting on me. 

I breathe in once, only to let it go. 

Forget him. Forget the memories, the laughs, the hugs. He isn't your best friend anymore. He isn't dead. He's just a body.