47. Origins of Hearts

Dear Elijah, 

my dear son, if you read this, I must not be here anymore. I cannot begin to describe my pain in not raising you and your sister Kinsley. 

I hope she's doing well, as I hope you are. When you showed up on my doorstep today, brave, protective, and eventually kind, I knew you had grown to be the man I'd always wanted you to be. 

I had to lie, and yes, it was selfish of me to still protect myself after all these years, and for that I am deeply sorry. You deserve to know the truth of yours and Kinsley's origins.

Twenty years ago, I'd met your father. The King of Aepresea. I was a new hire in the estate as a maid, and eventually I had the duty of serving your father. I would take care of his daily routines. 

Over the course of weeks, he'd gotten friendly. Constantly confiding in me with his unhappiness. One night, I had comforted him, and it led to a night of intimacy. Soon after, I had gotten pregnant with you. 

I wanted to raise you, but Alexander could not have a son that wasn't royalty from two bloodlines. So, he gave you to a woman, named Ms. Anton. 

Alexander had threatened me many times, verbally, physically, and in any way possible. Eventually, he forced me to quit my position, and made me move to the house I live in now. He separated me from the world, insuring that I would stay quiet about our romance.

He forbade me from seeing you, every time I tried, I was caught, and paid the price. 

About two years later, Alexander visited me again, he was unhappy in his marriage and told me he loved me. That he wanted to raise a family with me. I knew it was wrong, I knew I shouldn't have started anything with him, but I believed the lies he told. 

We spent the night together after he promised that he would let me see you. Of course he lied and went back to Emery. But, I had become pregnant once again with Kinsley. 

I tried hiding the baby from him, but he knew everything that happened. He always knew what was happening in his kingdom. 

Kinsley was taken from me and given to Ms. Anton, where I last heard you were. 

When I pass, I hope you receive my locket. It holds a picture of you and Kinsley. I had begged Alexander for it, years ago, so that I had at least known what my children looked like. 

I love you and Kinsley always. You both are in my heart. 

love, your mother

Melody 

__

Elijah

The clinking of gold echoes as I drop my mothers necklace back and forth from my hands. 

I'm spinning in memories of last night. 

The look on Alexander's face as I drove a blade into his head. My fathers eyes. 

Those blue eyes drained to nothing. Just dead. 

For years, I've always wanted to know who my parents were, but now? I wish I never knew. 

My father killed my mother. My father killed my sister.

He never let her see me, or Kinsley. 

As horrible as it sounds, I'm glad Kinsley isn't alive to deal with this. To feel the emotions I'm feeling. 

Melody Eldridge was her name. 

I met my mother. She knew it was me, but I had no clue who she was.