Chapter Fifteen

Sitara's heart skipped a beat

Sitara's heart skipped a beat. "I'll kill grandma." Now things were really getting creepier and creepier. The words stirred up a whirlwind of emotions within her. She saw the monster who tried to kill her. Yet also saw the caring, maternal figure who had loved her throughout the years. Her hands began to tremble uncontrollably. "Did my grandma know about the prophecy?" Sitara asked.

"Probably," said the enchantress with a thoughtful tilt of her head.

"But how will Sitara kill the Dayan?" Shaurya asked. "Is it a spell or a potion or a war?"

"That I do not know," his grandma replied. "We have to ask the mirror."

The old woman walked to the side of the room and pushed aside a curtain, revealing a magnificent oval mirror hanging on the wall. The mirror appeared straight out of a fairy tale, adorned with a frame of twisted vines, delicate roses, and sharp thorns. As the woman stood before it, her reflection shimmered on the surface.

"Is it magical?" Sitara whispered to Vihaan. "You know, like snow white."

"Yes," Vihaan replied. "Like many things in the forest, it's one of the rarest magical things to be found on earth. It has been with the wolf family for centuries. This mirror holds the power of destiny. It makes predictions and most of the time it's always accurate. It had saved the forest many times."

"Come here," the enchantress beckoned Sitara to approach her.

Sitara cautiously made her way towards the mirror as if it were a dangerous creature.

"Ask the mirror," the enchantress said.

Sitara stood in front of the mirror. Her face filled with worry as she gazed at her reflection. It had been a while since she last saw herself, and the sight was not pleasant. Dark circles cast shadows beneath her tired eyes, and her hair was a complete mess.

"Ask the mirror," the enchantress said again.

Sitara inhaled deeply, feeling a rush of nerves. She was going to see her future. What if her future turned out to be terrible? Could she handle it? What if the mirror showed an image of her grandma slashing her throat? Sitara shook her head, took a deep breath, and prepared herself for the worst. No matter what it was, she would confront it. She gazed at the mirror with confidence.

"Mirror Mirror on the wall...." Sitara began, but the enchantress interrupted her.

"This is not the way," she said.

Sitara glimpsed Manya giggling in the corner of the room.

"Place your hand on the mirror," the enchantress instructed.

Following her guidance, Sitara placed her hand on the surface of the mirror. The mirror felt icy cold as if she was touching a block of ice.

"Now ask it to show you how to kill your grandmother," she said.