11

Daisy: We must've written eight or nine songs in the first couple of weeks. I would have an idea and he'd either flush it out or he'd come up with a riff and I'd come up with the melody.

Billy: When you're making an album, any album. It's an intimate thing. I mean, it has to be.

Daisy: Which isn't to say that we didn't fight.

Billy: Oh we were fighting constantly.

Warren: For about a month it was like that. We'd be in the studio, recording arrangements, and they'd be where? Doing God knows what?

Eddie: They'd come in with something new everyday.

Karen: I mean, great fucking songs.

Eddie: Every night, they'd come in giggling like two little school girls.

Billy and Daisy walked into the studio, both grinning from ear to ear and laughing. The rest of the band was practicing, stopping when the pair entered. The two were rambling on about random stuff, it was like they were speaking their own language. The rest of the band exchanged some annoyed glances.

Interviewer: Did it concern you?

Graham: Not really. Not yet, anyway. I mean, whatever they were doing, it was working.

Cameron: Yeah, I noticed it. Yes, it started to concern me. Their sudden change in attitude with one another, I mean, where did that come from?

'Kill You To Try' was the next song we recorded. And watching them record... well, it was something. They had this chemistry that just kinda... showed up.

After recording, Warren and Cameron slipped unnoticed into one of the back storage rooms.

"You really wanna do this here?" Warren asked, unbuttoning his pants, "Everyone's gonna hear."

"Can you be quiet?" Cameron asked, pressing her body against his.

We were locked in there for a good five minutes before returning to record.

"It doesn't sound good. It sounds too nice. It needs to sound swampy." Daisy said, reentering the studio.

"Swampy?" Cameron asked, not understanding what Daisy wanted them to do.

"You know what I mean? It needs to sound swampier." Daisy shouted back towards Billy.

"Ride the toms instead of high hat, Eddie. Longer notes." Billy explained from the microphone behind the glass. Cameron rolled her eyes.

"Guess he speaks Daisy now," Eddie mumbled to Warren and Cameron.

The band continued to play the song, but now with the tips from Daisy and Billy.

Cameron: I was glad the two of them finally seemed to be getting along and actually writing things together, but now the rest of us were just doing whatever the fuck they wanted us to do. We were all apart of this band, shouldn't we be able to do our own things to?

"Great! Was that so hard?" Daisy asked, pleased with this version of the song.

"Swampy." Cameron mumbled under her breath, putting her guitar down and lighting a cigarette.

Graham: Yeah, we knew it was good.

Billy: Teddy was the most confident.

Warren: Here's how confident Teddy was: before we even finished the album, he calls in a favor with Rolling Stone.

Jonah Berg started coming into the studio to watch us record. That meant Cameron and Warren weren't sneaking around as much, same with Karen and Graham. But Billy and Daisy kept doing whatever it was they had going on.