Chapter 60

Friday,February 3, 2017

5:00pm

HuntzbergerResidence

"I thought you were taking a nap?" Logan asked as he walked into the bedroom he shared with Rory, to see her sitting in bed, working on her computer, with papers and notebooks spread out around her.

"I was." Rory answered without looking up from what she was doing.

"But? I thought we agreed not to do any work for the rest of the weekend?"

"I'm not doing work."

"Alright?"

"I'm researching baby gear."

"Why?"

"Because it needs to get done."

"You know that there are professionals who's entire job it is, to do all of that research for you, right?"

"I'm trying to pick out which car seat is best. What seat has the highest safety ratings, and the most features. How big is it? Is it too big? Does it have too many features? Is it too complicated to use? Did you know that car seats have specific height and weight limits that you need to follow? And there are expiration dates! Car seats have expiration dates! They're a hunk of plastic with Styrofoam in it, and yet the thing has an expiration date! And that you aren't supposed to add anything to them? If the accessory doesn't come with the seat, you shouldn't be using it. Did you know that all those toys and things that you see hanging on people's baby carriers can become projectiles in a car accident? And if you add a comfort head centering pillow, or soft strap covers, they can actually both suffocate your baby, and make it so that the seat belt doesn't fit properly, causing your baby to slip out and get badly hurt in an accident? Did you know the importance of rear facing your child? Even if they're 5 years old, that rear facing is safer? It doesn't even matter if their legs are all squished up because they don't have any leg room because of the seat being in their face. They can sit with their legs crossed, and still be safer than they would be if they were front facing."

"I actually did know all that. They teach you all of that in medical school, and then again in training to work in the emergency room." Logan said as he moved some of Rory's notes, and took a seat on the bed next to her. "Would you like to know what else I know?"

"That you think I'm going down a crazy rabbit hole, and I need to mellow out?"

"No. . . Well, maybe a little. Let me see your computer for a second .. ." Logan said as he reached for Rory's laptop. "You see, there is this great website that has everything that you need to know about car seats, all on one page. They tell you exactly what seat is best, what kind of cars the different seats fit in, how big they are, the features, the safety ratings, the price, how much leg room each seat offers, the government accident statistics, everything that you've been researching, it's all in one place."

"What are you talking about? I've been at this for two hours, and not once have I seen anything about any website."