Chapter 120

A Couple Months Later

"What's going on? I got a message that you wanted to see me?" Logan asked as he walked into Rory's enormous office, pulling the door closed behind him. Rory was sitting at her desk, typing away as Logan approached her. "Ror? Is everything ok?"

"Uh, yeah . . . Everything is fine, I just need to talk to you about something. When is your next appointment?"

"Not for a couple of hours, why?"

"I'm going to text Doyle and have him bring us some lunch."

"So whatever it is, it's serious?"

"I got a phone call . . ."

"Alright?" Logan commented as he sat down in one  the of the chairs in front of Rory's desk. "It was from Joe."

"Joe who? We know a lot of people with that name, Rory."

"Former Vice President Joe Biden."

"And you choose now to use titles?"

"Joe is announcing his candidacy next week."

"That's awesome! So we get first crack at the story, right?"

"We do . . . But that isn't what I want to talk to you about. I could write that story in my sleep."

"Alright, so what is going on?"

"Joe asked if there was anyone that I could recommend who might be a talented enough writer, and proficient quality speaker, to possibly take on the role of Joe's press secretary."

"Wow! So he wants someone from HPG?"

"I guess . . . I mean, the only person I know who I would ever recommend for a job like that, would be Hugo. But Hugo would never take it. He doesn't want a job like that. Hugo is perfectly happy being on the board, and editing articles from time to time. And he doesn't mind filling in for a department editor when someone is on vacation. But otherwise, Hugo is pretty hands off. He's done his time in this business, and he likes where he's at."

"I can't even blame him either. And Hugo has done the press tour stuff, and been part of the White House press pool. Why do you think he hired you to go out on the Obama Campaign? He's already paid his dues there."

"Exactly! So I'm sitting here trying to think of who I know, who's name I could pass on to Joe. We have a lot of good writers here at HPG, but none that I think would make a good press secretary. I can think of several people who are superior writers, and only two that are good at public speaking, and don't get super nervous."

"But you can't nominate either of them?"