Chapter 2

Austin's POV

"Careful there Austin." Paul warned me again, eyeing me warily from where he stood. I ignored him taking another swing at the punching bag. It felt good. I reveled in the burn of my muscles. Working out was second only to running in my wolf form.

"Yeah, yeah. I hear ya." I finally acknowledge him, deciding I'd had enough for the day. I start taking my gloves off and unwrapping my hands. Paul comes over with bottled water.

"Jeff said he had some news for you before you left for the Alpha meeting." He informs me. I drain my water contemplating what it is Jeff has to tell me. Technically, since I'm twenty I am the Alpha of the Midnight Moon Pack but Dad still has a lot to teach me and he will be accompanying me to the meeting. Jeff is my Beta so though he is loyal to me as my second, he won't be going to the meeting with me.

"Ok. Tell him to meet me at the pack house." I tell Paul.

"Sure thing. But don't make me look bad again like the last time you said you'd be somewhere but went off with Holly or Molly or whatever er name was." He playfully warns me. I roll my eyes.

"No promises." I grab a towel, wipe my neck, and head out to my car that seems to wink at me in the sunlight. I slip on my ray bans and can't help but smile. Everything is really good right now. I expertly drive down the road to the pack house. My thoughts drift to the meeting. It will be my first Alpha meeting as an Alpha myself. I'll admit I'm a little nervous. I want more than anything to live up to my dad's legacy in the pack, but what if I mess it up? Nope, I can't think like that.

............

"Wait, so let me get this straight, you were on patrol of the borders when you heard a voice and followed it?" I'm desperately trying to make sense of Danny's ramblings.

"Yes. The voice called to my wolf like no other before. It was weird. From my vantage point in the woods I couldn't see her but I could hear her so clearly, and her voice reached me, wrapping me up in it and making the hair on my neck raise...

"I think we found Jamie."

"Jamie!"

"He must've been one hell of kisser."

"He was. So why are we leaving so soon? I was just getting started."

The voices Jeff recalls play in my head through the pack mind link. I instantly pick out the one he mentioned that seems to pull me in.

"Mate." I state. My wolf whines, hating that were so far from our mate, yet so close. Jeff's eyes widen.

"Are you sure? I- I mean I wasn't sure why her voice called to me but it makes sense..." He trails off taking in my glare.

"Of course I'm sure." I snarl. "Now I just need to find her."

"How are you going to do that?"

"I'll figure it out."

"Okay but-

"Austin. You ready to head out for the meeting?" My Father appears, briefcase in hand.

"Of course. Let me just go get my bag." I answer and swiftly head upstairs to my room in the pack house to retrieve my things. I can only hope I don't disappoint him, and that knowing my mate is somewhere out there close won't distract me.

.........

"So what do you propose we do about the rouges threatening the Mountain Ridge pack border?" Alpha Frederick questions the circle.

"We could always offer you more protection on that end of the border." Suggests Alpha Benjamin of the Sun Rise pack.

"There is always the option, though typically less popular, the idea of talking to the rouges and possibly reaching a compromise or at the very least hearing them out." I look to the man who spoke. I think he is the future Alpha of Starry Night pack. The woman at his side smiles proudly at him. Must be his mate.