Chapter 12

Camille’s POV

         How did I get into this position? I am currently on my back beneath my mate as he towers over me whining and nuzzling my neck. Ugg. This is the last place I wanna be. Ok who am I kidding my body is practically purring at his nearness, which is quite frustrating considering I’m extremely hurt and pissed at him. I muster up a growl, wiggling a little trying to get this lug off me. The nuzzling stops and a rumbling warning growl travels through my body from the beast above me. I freeze. Ok maybe wiggling around wasn’t the best idea. Lets try a new tactic. I whimper slightly, pawing at his chest. That seems to do the trick. He backs off slowly, warily like I’ll run away. Ha, fat chance. I’m not about to be tackled again. I right myself into a sitting position and shake my coat free of dust and dirt. I can feel his eyes on me but I’m not in the mood to face him yet. I know as soon as I look into his expressive green eyes I’ll be well on my way to forgiving him, and I just can’t do that yet. I still can’t get the picture of him and that naked blonde out of my head. Every time I close my eyes I see them and it cracks away at my heart knowing that he can just do that. If he expects me to just be a side girl he’s sorely mistaken.

I steel myself, still refusing to look at him but suddenly he walks over into my line of vision. I stare at his nose instead of his eyes. He drops something on the forest floor, and I snap my gaze to it. A white shirt. Ah, so he wants me to shift. Fan-flipping-tastic. He turns his back to me before retreating behind a thick tree. Minutes later, he emerges wearing nothing but jeans. I trail my eyes up his chest, to his amused smile and finally those eyes of his, that seem to sparkle in the moonlight. I hate that his body affects me like this when I’m so upset with him. I hate that he knows how much he affects me. I let out a huff before retreating behind another tree to shift and change. I slowly slip out from behind the tree in his long white t-shirt, wishing I had a hair tie for my tangled mess of chocolate hair.

“You have to let me explain Camille. It was-

“I don’t HAVE to do anything.” I interrupt him, still not looking at him but knowing his eyes have never left me.

“Ok, yes, I know baby I’m sorry is just- please…if you would just…Camille just please hear me out.”

“As of right now, I am not your baby.” I flash my baby blues at him, and internally flinch at the sudden hurt in his eyes. “However I will allow you to explain your side of the story.” Its difficult to keep strong knowing I’m hurting him, but he doesn’t understand how much it hurt me to see him like that, and I will never be just another notch on his belt. I deserve more.

“Ok,” He sighs, “I understand you’re mad, but please just listen. It wasn’t what It looked like.” I roll my eyes and huff in disbelief. He doesn’t seriously think that will wok on me does he? “No really Camille, it wasn’t.” he insists.

“Ok, just get on with it Austin.” I gesture for him to continue. The sooner I get this over with the sooner I can leave it in the past and not have to relive the pain. I hear him take a big breath and begin.

“I was just in my office working after I told my friend Jeff I wasn’t in the mood to go out tonight because I had found my mate, and was missing her.” He pauses and I feel him looking at me but can’t force myself to look back. He sighs again and continues, “I didn’t realize that I had worked through lunch and dinner, trying to finish up so I could come back to get you. Someone knocked on my door and I wasn’t paying attention and before I knew it Patty had come in with food and hot chocolate acting all concerned.” I flinched. So they were on first name basis? She was concerned about him? “Yes, Camille, Patty and I have a history but that was so long ago and I honestly don’t know what I ever saw in her. To be honest no one compares to you now.” I hear a smile in his voice but just bite my lip in thought, trying not to let him sweet talk his way back in.