Chapter 18

Austin's POV

I force my paws to come to a complete stop at the tree line facing an nondescript building that looks a lot like a warehouse of some sort. I try and clear my head enough to develop a plan of some sort, but my wolf is all but forcing me to only think of Camille. My territory ended about a mile back and this is common ground between pack territories. I have little to no authority here and my pack is a little ways back.

Austin don't even think of going in there. We should wait for the pack to catch up and make a well thought out plan of attack. Jeff's voice breaks through my thoughts.

No. Camille is in there with that bastard and I need to get in there. We don't have them to wait for the pack. If he tried to mark her, it could be deadly for her.

Austin the pack in three minutes away and we don't know how many rouges there are. It could very well be a suicide mission.

Then wait for them. I'm going in. I don't wait for a response before I leap from the underbrush and head straight for the building holding my mate captive.

Well shit. I hear Jeff curse at my brashness, but don't know if he's following me because all I can hear is my heart beat pounding.

No sooner had I jumped from the woods, announcing myself, when five dirty brown wolves jump from the roof of the building and head straight for me. Clearly I'm the target and something tells me I've just ran right where they want me. My big black wolf is no match for them. We don't even flinch knowing that we're outnumbered.

Two of the red-eyed wolves tense to pounce and I slash my paw at one slamming it on the ground while the other finds its way onto my back. I manage a quick tuck and roll, dislodging its claws and barley have time to blink before another one attacks, teeth bared.

I let out a ferocious growl when its teeth scrap against my shoulder and I turn and bite into its leg, hard. It whimpers and releases its grip enough that I can shake it loose. I fend that one off just in time for another two to get to me.

In the span of two minutes all of this has happened and I now find myself with one rouge on my back and one nipping at my legs. I skillfully dance just out of reach from one of them while growling and trying to shake off the other.

Suddenly the one on my back is dislodged and I look to see Jeff on top of it taking a bite out of its shoulder with a fierceness I rarely see in my best friend and Beta.

I make quick work of the one still at my legs, ending its miserable life with teeth to the jugular, and turn my focus on the one I had previously swiped my paw at. I manage to dodge most of its lunges at me and get some good bites in. Its face is bleeding a lot and it's favoring its right leg. I'm already sick of this game and am impatient to get to my mate so I take advantage of its injuries and go in for the kill.

As I drain the life out of the rouge, I look over and see Jeff finishing off his but notice he seems distracted. I follow his distressed gaze to Jamie struggling with another rouge. Her gray coat is coated in dirt and has scattered bloodied patches, but she's holding her own. I immediately go over and help her finish him off.

Once all five of the wolves are dead, I face my small army and assess the damage. A couple scratches and nicks but nothing serious. My wolf is fully energized and impatient to attend to his mate's needs.

Thanks for having my back out there. Sorry I put you both in danger. I send to Jeff knowing he'll pass it on to Jamie.

We're here for you Austin. Thank you for helping Jamie out. I told her to stay back and let us handle it, but you can see how that went. He grumbles and clearly Jamie heard him because she shoulder bumped him and growled in warning.