Chapter 17.2: The Fate of Talthys

It was only a few moments later when we heard screams in the distance. Just when we thought we had negated the Yami threat, several priestesses began pointing above them. A massive dark horse approached high above us, galloping in the sky. It had a wispy form, similar to the Shakryss, but even more fearsome to behold. The horse was followed by a trail of black fire. It moved at a great speed, its red eyes like fire in the dark sky. It crossed the Sea of Kaito in moments and began attacking the vulnerable temple, raining orbs of black fire upon the unprotected walls.

The Dark Lord, Enma-Dai-Ō himself had come to meet us in battle. Our hearts sank as we realized what we were up against. Hope left us. No mortal had ever come up against a Dark Lord before, and no mortal on Kuro had the power to harm a Demon Lord, much less slay one.

I felt my knees give in as fear overtook me. I felt unsure for the first time. I looked back at Oozen-oo for direction, but the High Priestess was beside me no more.

The Hou-Ou no Miko had gone out to meet the challenge. Sparks flew, and the sky was lit by a bright light. We lost our ability to see for a brief moment. When our vision returned, we beheld a light so bright it took over everything else. For the first time, I saw all around us for miles and miles. The sea of Kaito glistened below. To our west, we saw the countryside beyond the cliffs as it would have been a thousand years ago. The trees, flowers and greenery momentarily made us forget the conflict that raged around us. The beauty of the landscape marred only by the places the darkness touched.

A shrill screech pierced the air above us. A gargantuan bird appeared, its crimson feathers bathed in an eerie red light. From the edges of its wings, trails of fire burned, the heat causing the surroundings to shimmer. The great bird was awe inspiring, noble, the very essence of light emanating from it. So overwhelming was the sheer magnitude of the great bird's light, that even the light of the Aurora was eclipsed, the pale glowing lights seemed faint, as if even the shifting light lent its power to the bird.

"It is Suzaku," Searra said, observing the battle in the sky unfold beside me.

I looked at her with a puzzled look on my face. "Suzaku is Oozen-Oo's manifested form." Searra carefully explained. "When a Channeller is exceptionally powerful, the energies they release when they unleash their seals take physical form. When Oozen-Oo activated her ability to resurrect dead seals, the seals she brought back took on her character, taking collective shape. That is what you are seeing right now. Suzaku, the Legendary Phoenix, has come out to meet Enma Dai-Ō in a direct confrontation."

Sparks flew again as Suzaku launched its attack. Heat built up until we could feel it upon our faces, even though the great bird was several hundred feet in the air above. Bullets of fire shot from its wings, making their way toward the Dark Steed. Enma deftly dodged as the fire bullets gradually disintegrated. I noticed then that several of the priestesses had stopped to witness the battle that was taking place.

"No, Push forward!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "Do not stop the attack! Drive the Yami back with your Seals! This battle is not yet won!"

We heard screeching in the sky above us again. Oozen-Oo was doing very well, holding her own against Enma's manifested form. The Steed ran around, unleashing its dark orbs. Hundreds of orbs hung about the sky for a brief moment, then dropped, rapidly gaining momentum as the orbs rained down upon the temple. The Suzaku flexed its great wings in response as a protective shield of flame rapidly spread around the temple, this one more powerful than the one Searra had erected earlier. The orbs hit the shield and dissipated. Flying Tengu that hit the barrier were shredded instantly.

The Dark Steed neighed, expressing its dissatisfaction at the turn of events.

The manifested forms were at a stalemate. The Dark Steed began to hurl projectiles at Suzaku, the projectiles speeding toward the great bird.

Unfazed, Suzaku retaliated with a powerful barrage of light. It flexed its great wings, screeched and let loose with a volley of bright, powerful orbs of light. The light neutralized the darkness as they hit each other, cancelling each other out.

The Dark Steed neighed in anger above us. Enma was getting increasingly impatient. The dark energy around the Dark Steed increased as it gathered its strength.

I looked at Searra beside me and noted the great look of concern upon her face.

"This is not good. Oozen-Oo cannot hold her manifested form for much longer. As powerful as she is, she is still mortal, and no mortal stands up to a Yami Lord for very long. She needs to end this quickly."

Enma saw the great bird falter and realized he had the upper hand. The steed moved aggressively to take advantage, moving to close the gap between itself and the Suzaku. It appeared that Enma had decided to test the extent of the power of the Phoenix Priestess. He attacked head on, making no motions to defend himself, launching an all-out attack.

The Dark Steed collided with Suzaku and there was a brief pause. We could scarcely breathe. I myself had not wanted to know what the outcome would be. The great bird pushed back with all its might, wrapping itself with its great wings that shot pure energy, knocking Enma back. The last minute expenditure of energy worked, but the High Priestess was past her limits as a human. She held on through sheer force of will alone. She would not be able to withstand a second assault.

The Dark Steed charged again, placing the full power of its force to bear upon the weakened Suzaku. It was too late. Oozen-Oo had reached her limit. We saw the crimson light go out, the darkness outlasting it, as the Phoenix Pristess fell from the sky.

Searra and I moved to catch the fallen High Priestess. The least we could do for her was make her final moments more comfortable. I caught her before Searra did. She was bloodied all over, drained of the power she had once possessed. Tears streamed down my cheeks, I am ashamed to admit it now, not because I was sad at the loss of the High Priestess, but because I feared for my own life. I knew that the burden of protecting the temple had passed to us. It passed to us the moment Oozen-Oo lost.

We laid her at our feet. Searra said the last rites.

Oozen-Oo spoke weakly, her voice almost a whisper. "Vannah and Searra, I have done what I could. The rest is now up to you." She turned to me. "Vannah von Talthys, you are now High Priestess. Defend the temple and your sisters at all costs. Most importantly, make sure Kuro is safe from the darkness."

And with that, Oozen-Oo's spirit departed Kuro. We were left in charge of defending the temple and our sisters from the growing enemy. I looked up at the sky, trying to formulate a strategy. I saw the Dark Steed, continue to gallop in the sky. I could tell it was weakened from its battle with Suzaku and was circling, unsure of how to proceed. Perhaps this was the chance we needed.