Chapter 18.2: Answers

"Aye." Vannah nodded. "Further proof that you indeed lived in the lost age. In my five hundred years of wandering, I have never heard that name uttered by another mortal."

Vannah continued on. "The God of the Void and Darkness from which the Yami originate, Amatsu Mikaboshi is the one true counterpart to Amaterasu-ōmikami. When the Goddess disappeared, so did he. Enma himself does not know the circumstances of the disappearance of Mikaboshi. It is yet another mystery."

Vannah walked across the chamber, distancing herself from the demon. As she walked farther, her shadow appeared to grow longer against the light. "The Yami threat grows at an alarming rate. The Shakryss appear again in the North, in great numbers. I know not how they were able to swell their numbers again after being dormant for centuries."

"How do you know this?" Mina asked.

"As one of them, I hear his voice. He calls out, and my demon blood yearns to answer the call. I resist solely through the force of my own will."

Vannah turned to face Mina and smiled. "It was by happenstance that I found you that night." Vannah moved slowly, limping across to stand beside Mina. "I knew that the government in Taiyou-Shi had grown desperate in their need. Their greed had brought this plight upon them. I became aware of their search for the Maiden of Legend, but I had mostly left them alone through the centuries. But for the last fourteen years, I had become acutely aware of a strange aura, a benevolent one, albeit very weak. I knew then that I needed to find it. And so out of hiding I went. I started joining Maurauder searches, hoping to find you." She turned and smiled at Mina. "You know the rest."

Vannah turned again to Mina, her expression grave. "Finding you first was critical, for there are others, less benevolent, who have other motives for finding the Vessel of the Light. Already, they track us. We must determine what to do next. And for that, we need the Dark Lord's guidance. This is why I have brought you both to these caves."

Vannah smiled. "I am sure you have been anxiously waiting for this. Without further ado, let me introduce you both to Enma Dai-Ō."

Vannah limped over to where the Dark Lord stood motionless on the throne. "You may hear again, demon. And speak freely as well."

A booming, thunderous laugh filled the caves. The familiar feeling of dread washed over Mina again. Now that the story had been told, with the events leading up to this time portraying a clearer picture, it was easier for Mina to appreciate the situation Vannah found herself in.

"With such relish do you mock the pride of the fallen, whorelet. Do not forget that you answer to me as well."

Vannah shook her head. "Bound to me first you are. Bound to you second I am. It is the order in which things happened."

Vannah continued her half-limping progress, moving slowly with the aid of her staff in the giant chamber. Up close, the Demon Lord was intimidating, even more so now that it had come to life. The giant form loomed, the raw sinew of its muscles flexing and growing as if it were about to burst. The pallid, purplish hue of the smooth skin glistened in the firelight. The Seal of Tsukuyomi all but completely covering the face of the demon, hiding its dead eyes. The sharp fangs were bared, the dreadful claws that had taken Searra's life resting comfortably upon the massive throne's armrests.

Vannah motioned for Mina to come. Mina was a jumble of nerves. Her heart beat frantically. She did not quite know what to expect. In the cold of the cave, faced with this demon, her hands went cold. She walked softly on the cold cave floor. She had taken off her makeshift boots during Vannah's tale to make herself more comfortable, and wished she hadn't now. She crossed the room meekly and came to stand face-to-face with the demon.