Chapter 23.3: The Dragon Emperor

Zhao Zheng nodded in acknowledgement, his face devoid of expression, eyes looking right ahead into the stranger's. "What is it that you seek of the Dragon Emperor?"

Lung smiled slowly, unperturbed. Most men would cower before the Dragon Emperor. "I came to deliver a warning."

Zhao Zheng raised an eyebrow.

"Yin's enemy, the force that besets us in the North and sets its will upon us even as we speak, is not a foe you can defeat."

There was great commotion in the Emperor's court.

"Silence!" Zhao Zheng ordered. "You have some nerve, stranger, to walk up to me and speak so carelessly. Do you not value your life?"

Lung smiled again, completely calm and unafraid. "I meant no harm or disrespect, your majesty. Though I may appear a stranger to you, I am no stranger to Yin. And I am no foe. I come as a loyal subject of the Great Dragon Emperor of the Four Kingdoms to deliver a warning that I am hoping he heeds."

"And what of it?" Zhao Zheng snapped, his patience growing thin. He was interested in what the stranger had to say, however.

"Heed the warning. Yin's current course is not a wise one. The Goddess Essence will not be enough to win the war. The supply will run out, and with it, the luck of Yin and eventually all of Kuro."

"And what alternative course would you have me set?" Zhao Zheng countered.

"The alternative you have been considering," Lung spoke the words simply as if it were the easiest thing in the world to do.

"Attacking the Island Nation of Mystika is tantamount to a declaration of war. It will draw the ire of the other nations," Zhao Zheng impatiently countered.

Lung smiled. "Indeed. But under the circumstances, Yin has no choice. War is upon us, your majesty. Your northern borders will not hold much longer. When the North falls, war will be upon you and the shadows will take Yin."

Zhao Zheng paced the room, his silks rustling on the floor that was crafted from the finest woods. He left unsaid the thing that was most important. In order to fight a force that wasn't human, they needed to find a force that was supernatural as well. The answer lay in either Mystika, or in the Dark Priestess. However, Zhao Zheng trusted his judgement on neither. Mystika was so reclusive that not even his vast network of spies had much information about the Island Nation, and the Dark Priestess was friend to no one.

"There is another alternative, your Majesty."

Zhao Zheng turned sharply to the stranger. He was getting tired of the constant interruption from this presumptive man.

"Yin must wake its own gods."

Zhao Zheng pointed a finger at Lung. "Now you are mocking me. Watch what you say carefully from this point forward."

Lung's eyes glittered as he looked back at Zhao Zheng. For a moment, the Emperor thought he saw them glow with a bright light. He had an odd feeling now, that he knew this man from somewhere, that he had seen him at some point in his past.

"I have said what I have to say to the Dragon Emperor. I wish you and your court well, your majesty."

Lung bowed gracefully to Zhao Zheng and sauntered off, no one daring to stop him.

The room was aghast for several moments after the stranger had departed.

Shi Fu, oldest and wisest of his advisors was trembling as the stranger left. He was looking gravely at Zhao Zheng. "It was wise not to have angered him, your majesty," he spoke in a trembling voice. "I see you have finally recognized him."

Zhao Zheng sighed. "Yes. And I am glad I kept my mouth shut." He stroked his long straight beard thoughtfully. "The Celestial Dragon, Lord T'ien Lung has once again returned to Yin."

Zhao Zheng's mind raced. There was only one person in the land with the power to command the Celestial Dragon, and it was not the Dragon Emperor.

"Send for Miyun, I need to speak to the Empress at once."

A few soldiers moved immediately to find the queen.

Moments later, a soldier showed up, out of breath, his face completely pale. "Your majesty, the Empress has gone missing."