Chapter Four

Simon

"Don't move." Deidre instructed strictly.

It'd been a few days since Deidre had made up her mind about going and they were going to drive out that night.

"I'm not moving!" Simon insisted. He held out his arm for her so she could apply the first layer of concealer - courtesy of her mother's bathroom.

Deidre's mother had some...issues recently. She'd become more depressed and antisocial the last few months, since her husband died.

Simon knew Deidre had never liked her dad very much; he was always smoking and getting drunk, the scar on her shoulder proving it.

Anyways her mother had tried to commit suicide earlier that month - even though her Mark told her she had thirty years left of life. Deidre has caught her mom while her mom had started swallowing handfuls of pills. Luckily the hospital was able to pump her stomach and she was getting better, little by little.

Simon was lost in thought and didn't realize Deidre was done until she asked him when he was going to stop studying the wall intently.

"What's the plan? We don't have super nice clothes and we don't even know if two Canadians are even invited." She sat down across from him.

"Simple. We pretend to be siblings, maybe steal a dress and suit, and get in." Simon shrugged as if he were telling her his grocery list.

"Steal?" Deidre gasped. "We can't just steal a suit and dress! Where would we even steal it from?"

"Ok or you can at least try to find a nice dress in your closet."

"I'll try to put something together. I still have the dress from Homecoming last year. Do you think that'd be nice enough?" Deidre picked at her finger.

"Totally. I'll borrow a suit from my dad."

"Also we can't go in pretending we're siblings." She shook her head.

"What? Why not?" Simon asked defensively.

"Well for one were complete opposites. You're tall, I'm short-"

"Many siblings are that way."

"You have dark hair and mine's light blonde. You have blue eyes, I have brown. You're littered with dozens of freckles." She held out her arms. "I have, like, five total."

"Fair enough. What would we pose as then?" Simon challenged.

She shrugged. "We could probably pretend to be married."

"At sixteen?" He raised his eyebrows. They were close enough he didn't have a problem with pretending to be married, unless they had to actually share a bed. He liked his space.

"You look old enough to be maybe twenty. I'm sure if I put on a bit of makeup I'd look nineteen."

Simon sighed. "Nineteen and twenty? And married? My parents were married at twenty five!"

"Well if you have a better plan then let me know." Deidre put her hands on her hips.

"Fine then. Nice to meet you, Mrs. Wright."