Chapter Eleven

Deidre

The man stood with his hands in his pockets, staring back at her through the thick darkness.

She was frozen.

"Deidre why-" she heard Simon's voice falter as he rounded the corner.

"Ma'am? Sir?" The man said in a courteously smooth voice. "Why aren't you hiding with the rest of the guests?"

Deidre fixed her composure to make her small frame seem taller. It didn't work - or it didn't feel like it worked.

"I could ask you the same." Simon had walked over to Deidre and spoken. She was glad for this, with Simon being nearly as tall as the man.

"There are rebels, haven't you heard? I swear I saw you walk into the ballroom. Late, weren't you?" He took a step forward. "Not very proper. Not proper at all." One more step.

"What are you suggesting?" Deidre challenged, her nails digging into her palm and her stomach fluttering about.

"I'm sure as you've noticed we're all very proper. I'm sure the only improper thing in this country is rebels." He was now standing in a wash of bright moonlight, illuminating his dark hair and familiar traits.

The Society isn't a government, Deidre realized, It's a family of aristocrats.

"How dare you accuse us of being rebels. I'm sure when we head back to Canada our supervisor would love to hear about this." Simon made an effort to sound important but the man kept his ground and chuckled.

It wasn't a nice chuckle.

"Please, spare me." He said softly as if winning an argument.

"Canadians don't have Marks."