Chapter Thirty-Two

Simon

'This is not a cellar." Simon merely stated after dropping from the ladder onto the cold, hard floor.

"Sure it is," Eli shrugged. "There's some potatoes in the kitchen over there."

"There's a kitchen? Are you sure this isn't some sort of secret underground base?" Deidre scoffed. Her face was still bright pink, but nowhere as red as Bently's.

The ladder had dropped them into a simple room with stone walls with lamps on them, the hard packed floor separating into three hallways.

"There's 36 bedrooms, a kitchen, 12 public bathrooms, 6 public showers, lounge area, dining room, 2 storage rooms, and one library with 4,089 books. Someone stole number 4,090." Percy said smugly.

"Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness has obviously never been in an underground cellar." Simon muttered under his breath.

"Why do we have to hide down here?" Rosemary asked, her head cocked slightly to the side.

"We can't risk losing you in the chaos that will ensue shortly." Bently spoke up.

"You mean you can't risk us escaping in the chaos." Deidre said coldly.

Bently's lips pressed together but he didn't deny her.

"We'll have a good day! We've got to leave." Percy said quite cheerfully. Simon determined he had extreme mood swings.

Bently and Percy started up the ladder but Eli stayed behind for the moment.

"Look," he said quietly after making sure his cousins were gone. "I'm not like them. You can talk to me about anything - I'll even help you escape if you want."

"Oh...thanks." Simon said off-guard. That was unexpected.

Eli gave a final nod and lifted himself up to the surface.

The cellar door fell shut with a loud thud. Deidre immediately climbed up the ladder rings and pushed against the cellar that would not budge.

If you had listened closely you would be able to hear her call them twits.

"Well we might as well explore." Rosemary said shyly.

"Yeah, good idea." Simon nodded.

"Let's all share a bedroom." Deidre suggested. "We can take bedding and pillows from other rooms, but I don't think it would be good to sleep separately."

"I'm 88% sure there are lots of camera here too." Simon added to which Deidre smiled and replied,

"You're terrible at math."