Chapter Nine

To cut confusion: This chapter and the one before (chapter eight) is during the time of the masquerade ball, towards the current end in the Expired book. These events are happening before they're evacuated because of the rebels, but a little while after the start of the ball so most people have taken their masks off.

Deidre

The Beta; Colton Blackwood, she believed; was standing in front of them...glaring at them. Glaring.

If he thought they were the real representatives of Canada he wouldn't be glaring would he?

What if he recognized Simon?

Crap. Crap. Crap. He knew. The Beta knew. The second in command knew and they were definitely going to die. Goodbye world. She should've written a letter home saying she might not return. Sorry Mom, I gotta go get tortured till I die. See ya love ya bye.

Simon's breath caught when the Beta had looked at them and wait-

The representatives of Canada wouldn't be acting like peasants would they? They'd be acting like equals, right? Don't you have to be in a high position in the government to go to these things?

Deidre lifted her eyes and saw Vienna looking at her curiously.

"This is Colton-" she began.

"Vienna we're at a formal event." Colton chided. "Please, I'm the Beta." He held out a hand to shake.

Simon took his hand hesitantly and Deidre afterwards.

She was surprised - in all his pictures he looked cold, and angry. But I guess when you're supposedly powerful you get treated nicer.

"I'm Simon and this is my...um..." Simon looked uncomfortable and blushed as he looked down at Deidre.

"Wife. I'm Deidre Wright." Deidre continued and offered a smile.

Vienna looked at Colton. "They were married only a few months ago."

Colton nodded and looked at them suspiciously but he seemed to let it go.
"Canada?"

"Yes." Simon said quickly.

"It's a shame you missed the beginning of dinner. It was...interesting." Colton said as Vienna glanced behind him.

"Oh Jon- Preeminence!" She called.

Great. Nothing gets past the Preeminence. That's why he's the Preeminence.

A man with dark hair and bright eyes, the same traits as Colton, came over but he didn't seem focused on the attention. It seemed a bit as if he were looking for someone.

Looking for the criminals who shouldn't be here.

The Preeminence looked at them. He gave a bit of a smile and shook each of their hands.

"Good evening." He said and gave Colton a pat on the back, then walked towards the exit.

"Excuse him. He's very...stressed right now." Colton said after sharing another look with Vienna.

"Well why don't we show you to your room?" Vienna offered and Simon graciously accepted, but Deidre was too focused on wondering why the Preeminence could be in such a hurry.

Yet a small voice answered that question.

The Expired girl.