Chapter Seventeen

Deidre

They didn't slow down until they were enveloped in darkness. They didn't stop until the darkness turned to a dim light and the air was frigid.

The footsteps and yells had ended a while back and were replaced with discreet whispering and scratching noises. The floor was hard and cold with pieces of broken off carpet, as if nobody had been there for a while.

Simon was silent beside her the whole time and he hadn't let go of her wrist, but she was glad because it gave her the slightest connection to reality.

The whispers grew silent when the footsteps behind them were audible again. Deidre looked up at Simon with fear but he had stopped.

"Listen," he whispered.

The footsteps were joined by yells.

"How do we know they even went down here?"

"They couldn't have - no sane person would go willingly down here with them still here."

"Don't you know anything, idiot? Nobody but us know about them!"

"You know how they get people down here! They get in your mind and...do stuff."

A voice softened. "How do you know what they do?"

"That stupid red head. What's her name? Idris?"

"No it's Iris you twit."

"They?" Deidre mouthed to Simon and he whispered back, "They sounds better than what's over there."

"Did you hear that?"

"Hey! We found them!" Yelled a more distant and familiar voice. "They're in the Labyrinth!"

The two sat down against the wall and waited for the whispers to take over them for a while.