Chapter Twenty-Seven

Deidre

The man's sorrow-creased face seemed to lurch at her; but she was frozen. All she could do was shut her eyes against the blinding light but once she opened them back up, the face was replaced with an equally horrific scene.

Deidre woke with a splitting headache as she realized she was still at the Society. She groaned and sat up, the sun rays coming through the window still gray and beginning to lighten.

At least she didn't oversleep like yesterday. Had it only been a few days? It felt like forever.

She ran her fingers through her thick hair and realized she would need to take advantage of the shower. Soon.

Deidre opened the armoire to search for clothes when there was a knock at the door. She rolled her eyes - it couldn't be Simon, he never woke up early. Or before nine thirty.

She lugged the door open and faced - you guessed it - one of the men in suits.

Who wasn't in suits around here?

"Bently I don't have time for this," she sighed and shut the door but he kept it open with his foot.

"Time for what? All I'm asking is a simple question," he looked her up and down and she realized she was still in her night clothes - a dark, rose colored silk dress that ran to her knees and seemed to have something against proper sleeves.

Her cheeks were a very faint pink though she wasn't sure whether it was from just waking or the man in the doorway.

"A simple question that can be answered later. All we've got is time, isn't it? I'm sure you can ask me as soon as I've washed up and dressed." She spat and kicked his foot back, the door slammed shut as he yelled in surprise.

She turned the lock and went back to exploring the armoire.

Deidre found a nice enough, yet casual, dress that looked like something a fairy might wear. It was dress bright blue with a slight curve inward at the bottom, and the top folded into intricate knots that served as the sleeves (better ones that that stupid nightgown she was wearing now).

She hopped into the shower and soaked herself immediately. The room fogged up with a calming steam and she allowed herself to think for a bit.

There has to be some way out. She thought. After all, how do the others leave?

The water suddenly felt like it was barely frozen and she nearly jumped out.

"I wonder who could have done such a thing," she grumbled as she began drying off.