The Nerd - Hanna and Lucas

Not mine
Season 1

Hanna stared boredly at her computer screen. Her half finished To Kill A Mockingbird essay stared back.

Hanna blew her breath out in a long sigh and grabbed her cell phone. No new messages. She typed in Spencer's phone number. It rang twice, then went to voicemail. She sighed and sat back again, staring at her essay. She glanced back at her phone, then browsed her contacts.

She didn't want to call Mona, she'd been a bitch lately. She didn't want to call Sean. Things had been weird in the past week since she'd missed her homecoming crowning.

One name suddenly popped out at her.

Lucas.

Would that be really weird? They'd hung out in school, but never outside of school.

She quickly hit send text and typed in Hey, wanna hang out? before she could change her mind.

She held her breath for a full two minutes, then her cell rang quickly.

It's Spencer, texting me back, she thought. Or Sean. Or A. She'd never ever hoped that a text was from A.

It was from Lucas.

Sure! What do you want to do?

She found herself actually smiling a little.

Well, what are you doing right now?

Only a couple minutes passed before her phone made another loud ding.

Watching Star Wars, lol. Probably not as cool as hanging out at the mall...

Hanna giggled.

No, it's perfect. I'll be over in a few.

She got directions to Lucas' place and hopped into her car. The drive seemed slow, and Hanna couldn't figure out why she was nervous. It was Lucas, for God's sake.

Hanna stopped outside of a large house. It didn't look like a house a dork would live in. It looked more like the type of house that she used to wish she could live in. It was Victorian, and painted white. It was, oddly enough, her dream house.

She rushed up the porch stairs and rapped on the door. It was only a few seconds before the door flew open.

"Hey," said Lucas, sounding out of breath. Hanna couldn't help but laugh at the thought that her mere presence was enough to possibly bring on a asthma attack.

"Hey," she said with a smile. "I love the house."

Lucas cocked one eyebrow. "Really, you're going to try and start small talk?"

"Shut up," Hanna said, shoving him lightly and inviting herself in.

Lucas lead her through the dining room, past the living room and down a set of stairs. His basement was exactly where she would picture a dork living.

"Oh my God," laughed Hanna, looking around the room. A bed was shoved in the corner, surrounded by two computers. One had photoshop on the screen and the other had a paused video game on it. There was a short couch, and in front of it was the biggest TV Hanna had ever seen. Crammed in another corner was an entire Guitar Hero set. Three gaming consoles sat beneath the TV, and Hanna noticed the Xbox glowing. On the TV, Star Wars Episode Six was paused.

"You are such a dork," was all she could say as she surveyed the room.

"Yeah," said Lucas, looking slightly uncomfortable.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Hanna apologized quickly. "I mean that in the nicest way possible. It's kind of cool." She shrugged at all the stuff around her. "I'm sort of a closeted gamer."