Human - Sparia

Not mine

1

The first day Aria met Spencer, it was in the middle of the night with a camera hanging around her neck and a coat much too big pulled up around her. The cold was biting through to her skin, making her jump up and down as she walked along the streets in hope that she'd get warm in a split second, but more hoping she could just find something to take a picture of and get back home. The assignment was simple: get a picture of something that proves vampires are the ones behind the killings in the city.

In the last three months fifteen bodies have been found in the small city. All ravaged and torn apart. Her boss thinks it's a message from the vampires, and she remembers asking him to say that again, not because she thinks vampires are fictional, but listen, boss, they're making demands for blood banks! She did an article on that last week! She even investigated a town being built called Ravenswood specifically for vampires to live away from humans to avoid temptation. Then he tells her, "Listen, Aria, the vampires didn't come out. They didn't make this decision to be part of our world so intimately. They were pushed out, exposed like aliens in 1995. They don't want to be buddies. They want to kill."

Aria was so confused about the aliens part she just accepted the assignment without another word and left. Of course, she didn't really think that it was nearly winter and she didn't have a good coat or boots yet and now she was stuff walking through slush, kicking away dead leafs and bitter cold snipping at her nose in the middle of the night. Did her boss care she might be killed tonight? No, but it was a full moon and that's when all the killings were happening, so here she was listening to a distance wolf howling and the only part of her body that could relax did. At least werewolves weren't real. Right?

Wouldn't they have been exposed along with the vampires?

Aria stands on her tiptoes, investing a cracked window and the empty room beyond it of the abandoned building. She had pepper spray in her pocket, probably wouldn't do anything for a vampire, but it made her feel safe to walk the streets when the only other people out where a few dead beat cops sitting in cars half asleep, not even acknowledging her. It suddenly becomes painfully aware she's alone on the streets, despite drunk people stumbling down the sidewalk paths.

She peers down an alley and see's a small black mass in the darkness. Don't be a dead body, she thinks as she ventures in, camera in her hands, dim screen picking up even the small details as she raises it, zooming in on the dark mass.

Then, it moves.

"Help," It croaks quietly.

Step forward and face certain death? She heard of a serial killing vampire that would pretend to be injured to lure in it's victims. Or, step forward and help a human who might be hurt?

She lets go of her camera, letting it hang heavily around her neck like a massive weight as she steps forward. In the dark, all she can make out is long dark hair.

"Are you okay?" Aria asks, because it's all she can think of to say.

"Something bit me." They reply.

"'Something'?" Aria asks.

The body leans forward, hands reaching out, grasping onto her jacket tightly. "I don't know what it was. I can't remember. It seems so long ago."

Aria opens her mouth to reply when they lean forward further, and she can see their mouth starting to open, and before she can move and run, before she can even get up from the ground, teeth are sinking into her neck and she does scream.

2

There's a scar on her neck. She used to hide it with scarves during the winter, and during the spring she could conceal it with makeup, but as summer started to roll around, the only real option was chokers, and Aria had bought exactly three chokers in hopes it would work and every single one of them were too thin and didn't cover it, or too loose around that it hung more like an collar for a pet on a setting too loose. So, instead, she stares at the scar in the mirror, tilting her head as she rubs the makeup over it again for the third time that day, right before heading home from work, which wasn't the same job.