The Date

Ben pulls up in a sleek, black car. Not the stereotypical sports car a jock would be expected to have, but still nice. The plates indicate that it's new and the tires are still the same.

"Ready?" Ben asked with a smile.

"More than you know."

     We drove for a while with the radio playing in the background. We made small talked and joked around during the drive. Ben pulled in and parked. After signing in we were given our tickets which I shove into my coat pocket. Guess what else was in my pocket? Guess. A gold chain with a damaged bullet that had been modified to act as a pendant. That was from Jay. I really need to clean out my pockets more often.

"Cool, is that real?" Ben asks with the excitement of a little boy.

"Yup."

"What size is the bullet?"

"7.62 x 39 mm, it's from an AK-47."

"Sweet."

"Yeah..."

"You should put it on."

"What? Why?"

"Because, that is really bad ass."

     I laugh and reluctantly put it on. Our color is called for laser tag, and once I have my vest and gun I go into beast mode. Neon green vs. electric blue (our team)--at first glance everything appears normal: arcade, concession stand, prize counter, and then a set of doors leading to the indoor paintball and laser lag arenas. As soon as I step into the arena I'm overwhelmed. This looks like something from FBI training, rather than a harmless game. Two floors of obstacles, barriers, and smoke machines for an added effect. The teams quickly separate to their respective side, waiting to start. As soon as the round begins I go for a few east shots, but as the teams spread out, I run out from behind the wall. Spotting a group of neon green lights I duck and roll before seamlessly shooting them both.

"Damn it!"

"Who the hell did that?"

     I smirk before inching my way to the second floor, shooting to clear my path. I take out two more people and slide across the platform dodging more lasers. I see Ben shooting as a group of opposing members, but what he hasn't noticed is a guy creeping up the stairs aiming for Ben. Fluently, I aim and fire at the teenager. Ben nods to acknowledge my action when an alarm goes off.

"What the hell is that?" I scream.

"Sudden death!" Ben grabs my hand and we take cover as lasers go flying from the ceiling. Dozens of electric blue and neon green lights blink red, and stay that way. Once the lasers cease, everyone goes into action shooting everyone, even their own teammates. It wasn't friendly fire either. Ben and I emerge from our hiding spots leveling out the playing field, covering each other.

"Are we the last ones?" I ask looking around.

"I guess so," Ben cracks a smile.

     We hug each other as I see someone approaching and instinctively shoot him and his light blinks red.

"That was really hot," Ben whispers into my ear and nuzzles the crook of my neck when my light blinks red.

I push away, "Low Ben, very low."

"That wasn't me."

"Then who was it?" I turn around to see someone dart out. I sigh and we walk out before returning our vests and guns.

"You were impressive out there, I could have sworn you were a secret agent or something," Ben nudges me and jokes.

"Yeah," I laugh, "I'm going to go use the bathroom, can you get me a soda?"